Moving Past a Burdened Past | Teen Ink

Moving Past a Burdened Past

April 5, 2014
By KevinLange PLATINUM, Boyne City, Michigan
KevinLange PLATINUM, Boyne City, Michigan
41 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Use the glass half empty as motivation, but at the end of the day, be glad that it's half full"-Unknown


The flight is underway. There’s no going back. DeSean Jackson never wanted to be shooed from his Philadelphia wide receiver job of the last seven years, but the reason why is what makes it so hard for him to swallow.

In late March, reports leaked that Jackson was associated with a long-time friend who was accused of murder back in 2009. Jackson claims to have no connection to the incident because he was in the middle of his football season during the time of the murder. As a friend of the murder, questions must be asked, whether there was any true suspicion or not.

“Do I know people who are involved [in gangs]? Yes,” he says. “I’m definitely aware of and know certain gang members. But as far as being affiliated, [I’ve] never have been in one.”

He says he’s always felt he’s been a product of his environment growing up, but he’s always wanted to try to do things “the right way.” He has a non-profit book, No Bullies in the Huddle, which focuses on anti-bullying. He’s also responsible for the DeSean Jackson Foundation, which raises awareness and money for pancreatic cancer.

Perhaps this was the only bait that truly made the speculation a little fishy; asked if he hangs out with gang members, Jackson had said, “Not if they’re doing negative things.” He’d added that he’d witnessed those “things” on a daily basis growing up in Long Beach, California.
It’s safe to say he’s been exposed to the unsafe.

And the fact that he’ll casually say that he hangs out with gang members is the rumor stirrer—rumors claiming he’s “gang affiliated” or “affiliated” with criminals. If a kindergartener lights the playground grass on fire, does his friend, who took no part in it, go to the principal’s office too? Sadly enough, despite the obvious truth that he wouldn’t be sent, the inevitable virus of rumors is that he’s friends with the kid serving detention, and when that virus spreads, the label on the innocent gets shortened to “affiliated.”

Fair? Not at all.

But here’s the worst part. Jackson has to walk around—no record of the crime—with a burdening reputation of being “affiliated” now, and no court ruling can ever change that.

What happens when the boss hears this? Well, just what anyone would assume. Coming off the best season in his seven-year career a few months ago, the Philadelphia Eagles cut ties with their best wide receiver. A league source told ESPN that it was mostly due to Jackson’s “work ethic and attitude.”

But when he’s producing like he’s never produced before, complementing quarterback Nick Foles like a brownie to milk, and co-starring a role in the Eagles’ division-winning season, is that not enough to stay content, at the very least, with a three-time Pro Bowler who’s stayed loyal to the Eagles his entire career? Puh-leeease. Of course it had to do with his nationwide speculation—and that demoralizing “affiliation” label he had randomly and unfairly thrust upon his reputation.

“To be released, it was a humbling experience,” Jackson said, finally taking it all into perspective, “but at the same time, it hurt because it was at the peak of my career.”

And so the saying resonates: The flight has taken off. There’s no going back…Well, until next fall for a bitter return for an NFC East divisional matchup. Last Wednesday, Jackson inked a three-year, $24 million contract with the Washington Redskins in D.C., just a two-and-a-half hour drive from Philadelphia.

So he apparently now will be going back. Only this time he won’t have any Eagles “affiliation.”