42 The Great | Teen Ink

42 The Great

April 4, 2014
By Stevie Lira BRONZE, Liberal, Kansas
Stevie Lira BRONZE, Liberal, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jackie Robinson is in my own personal Hall of Fame because his character is strong, hardworking, and his story is inspiring. Robinson was the first African-American to play in the MLB with whites in the 1900’s. “ Robinson was important to all blacks. To make it into the majors and to take all the name calling, he had to be something special. He had to take all this for years, not just for Jackie Robinson, nut for the nation”-Willie Mays. He kept his temper under control even when the whites called him names and threw objects at him during the baseball games. Even with the name-calling, hate mail, and the dirty looks he received he still respected and accepted everyone for their own race. Despite his race and his background he did not once complain about his life or situations he was in. Robinson was well known for putting hard work into the assets he loved most. In 941, Robinson was the first athlete in UCLA history to receive varsity letters in four sports: baseball, football, basketball, and track. After his years in UCLA, Robinson joined the Army and became a second lieutenant, but shortly left after an incident that happened due to racial discrimination. Robinson went back to continuing his baseball career and joined the negro league where after just one year into league he got recruited to Brooklyn Dodgers which was a Major League Baseball team with nothing but whites. “I had to win from the start if I wanted to eat as well as the rest of my friends.” –Jackie Robinson. Robinson achieved all his goals even through all the rough obstacles he faced in life to overcome. His story has inspired millions all over the world. He has showed that no matter what life throws at you: you can achieve anything you put your mind to. Robinson has not only taught me but others as well that when something does not work out the first time to try again and never give up. This is why Robinson is one of the most inspiring role models there has ever been.


The author's comments:
i am a sophomore in high school. i was inspired to write this because Jackie Robinson is a hero in many peoples eyes.