States Bound | Teen Ink

States Bound

By Chase Cutshall BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida
Chase Cutshall BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida

We made history. That is what we will all remember about this last season we just had. As a member of my school's golf team, I was one of the members of the “Historic” team this year, first team in school history to make States. Although we did not do anything of remembrance there while at States, we were all still excited just to be part of the process that no team before has gotten to do.

While granted I am hugely overstating at the talk of the “Historic” label on this team, we all believed that we had accomplished more than pretty much every team in the history of sports. We were not the most talented team by far, to be exact; our team last year was probably actually as good, if not better. To be fair, we stumbled into a great mixture of a good situation, some clutch playing, and some good-fashioned good luck. The transfer of the States series into an extra A, a classification of a group of schools, spread out the talent, we somehow finished runner-up, what we needed to move on, in our three playoff tournaments, and plenty of probably better teams then us just played poorly enough for us to beat them. We were so unlikely to go to states that at the start of the year, going “State-Bound” was our team joke, something we didn’t even dream of!

Our journey to states was one of the best times of my life. We were by far the underdogs the whole entire time. We came from a school were not of the sports were that great. No dominant football team, no outstanding basketball team, or anything like that. Nobody knew who Melbourne was. We were the underdog in a region filled with some actually pretty talented teams. I mean we barely thought we had a chance! I believe that is what helped us, we got to play stress free, no expectations of winning it all, no beliefs in bringing home the title at all. We got to cruise through the tournaments just playing how we do, and not letting the other teams affect us. With that relief of pressure, we just made it in with by the skin of our teeth, beating the 3rd place team in regions by a slim 7 strokes.

Once we learned we made it in, the celebration began. You would have thought we won the whole thing! We went around school in our golf shirts everyday, had the cheerleaders make us pep-tags, the whole works included. It didn’t even matter that we grounded back out at the Finals. We ended up in 15th place….. out of a nice 16 teams! But you know, whatever we made it to States! I barely even remember the tournament that much; most of it was a blur! Now all I got to show for it, were the sick glasses we got from there, the nice jackets we all bought, and a growing desire to rewind time and replay those few months all over again!

Going to States for us, was like when the Bad News Bears made their championship game, it might have surprised us as much as anyone else! We all worked hard for it though, played well at the right times and, for sure, got a large share of luck on our side. With all that combined, I got a story to remember, a fond memory of mine. Although I know it probably will never happen again, I am going to wish every year for it to happen again. However unlikely that is.