This is Cross Country (Because you can.) | Teen Ink

This is Cross Country (Because you can.)

September 10, 2013
By Claire_baller PLATINUM, Platteville, Wisconsin
Claire_baller PLATINUM, Platteville, Wisconsin
40 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have left.
I Don't need easy, I just need possible.
10% luck 20% skill 15% concentrated power of will 5% pleasure 15% game and 100% reason to remember the name!


Some people don't consider this a sport. Some people think it's a waste of time. Some people don't get why we put ourselves through so much pain everyday. Some people don't get why we push ourselves so hard past exaustion. Why we get up early every morning, sacrificing our sleep, to do it. Some people just don't get it.
There are many levels of running. Some of us run because we want to get into shape. Some of us run because our friends do and we don't want to be left out. Some of us run because we want to test our physical and mental limits and exceed them. Some of us run because we are competitive and want to beat the other guy, while some just want to beat that voice in their head that says 'you can't do this'. Some of us want to be a champion and be remembered, While some of us just love to run.
Those few who genuinely love to run knows that pain is only a small portion of what you are experiencing.
The wind whips past you as you increase you speed. Why do you increase your speed? Because you can. Your legs start to burn making you feel as if you can't go much further before needing to stop. But you keep going. Why? Because you can. Your breath comes in short gasps, making your lungs feel as if they could burst. But you continue on. Why? Because you can.
One last hill comes into view. Your chest starts to burn. Sweat is pouring off your skin like water getting in your eyes. You finch feeling the stinging sensation. You are uncomfortable. But you keep going. Why do you keep going? Because you can.
The pain start to become unbearable as you push up the hill. Every mucel in your body is screaming 'STOP!' But you keep going. Thrusting your arms forward and leaning into the hill. Why do you keep going? Because you can.
Bile starts to fill your throat. You want to vomit, you want to stop, you want to quit. But you keep going. Why? Why keep going through all this pain? Because you can.
You can see the top of the hill. It's only a few feet away. Your mind is screaming at you to vomit, faint, stop, quit. But you don't. You dig inside yourself and you kick those last few feet. Why do you do this? Because you can.
You reach the top of the hill. Your legs give out from exaustion. Your breaths come out in loud, fast pants. Pain fills your body, making you feel more alive then ever.
Through all the exaustion, pain, and sweat (can't forget the sweat) you smile. Why? Because you can. Because you did it. You exceeded yourself. You dug deep inside yourself and found a survivor. You survived the workout and the pain of it.
And you can't wait until you get to do it again. But in the mean time you get to enjoy this small victory that will soon lead to many big ones. This is the experience you look forward to.
This, is Cross Country.


The author's comments:
Some people don't consider this a sport. Some people think it's a waste of time. Some people don't get why we put ourselves through so much pain everyday. Some people don't get why we push ourselves so hard past exaustion. Why we get up early every morning, sacrificing our sleep, to do it. Some people just don't get it.