Ode to Cheer | Teen Ink

Ode to Cheer MAG

Who would ever think
That cheer isn’t a sport?
We practice
We perform
We compete
We win
Do you have what it takes?
Yelling so loud
The next day you can’t be heard
Memorizing
A million tiny moves
To show off
In front of a team that never wins
Throwing that girl in the air
Her life in your hands
Your muscles scream in protest
But you catch her anyway
Sacrificing yourself
For 20 girls
On one mat
With one chance to stick it

Cheer:) said...
Cheerleading is a sport.. lol and to Big rhonda lol you stupid, what type of woman plays mens football! seriously.. stop bashing cheerleading.. we can do what you can do(play foot ball/baseball/softball) but i highly doubt you can do what we do.

big rhonda said...
you see, i'm a big woman. i play softball (the catcher) basketball, and mens football. cheerleading is 100% NOT a sport. it is just a reason for the fine looking ladies to wear mini skirts and gives the guys something hot to look at. THUGS FO LIFE DAWG

breiteliza said...
on May. 31 2009 at 6:37 am
breiteliza, Mundelein, Illinois
OMG I totally agree with everything this article says. I'm a cheerleader and when people say cheer isn't a sport I tell them then well I guess gymnastics and dance aren't sports either!

poem said...
i think that cheering is a lot of hard work i am a cheerleader i've been a cheerleader for 4 years and to this day i love it even though my coaches expections are high .....i kno that the whole stunt is just messed up because it takes t my life is very risky because i am a flyer and if i mess up or they drop my foot

Brittany02 said...
wow, this is very good(: Im a cheerleader and I cheer for my school and cheerleading is a sport. Its my sport(:

HOPEMVP said...
I DID NOT REALLY think cheerleading was actually a sport or was that difficult till I decided to try-out. It's a lot Harder than it looks, but its worth all the hard work. GO CHEERLEADERS GO! :)

shopaholic58 said...
I totally agree.....I think cheerleading should be considered a sport too :]]

cheeks92 said...
on Jan. 15 2009 at 3:03 am
I absolutely love this. It's so true. So many people wonder why I'm always so sore or bruised from cheerleading because they don't think it's a sport, but we work just as hard, if not harder, than any other team! <3

ababe123 said...
on Nov. 13 2008 at 3:03 am
This is so true. I've been cheering for 5 years and almost EVERYONE at my school thinks its not a sport and its a waste of time. but i love it and always will =]

sunshine said...
I believe that cheer is a real sport and should be considered a sport so people start considering O>K>