Soper Hurdles Her Way to the Top | Teen Ink

Soper Hurdles Her Way to the Top

By 5Rafferty GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
5Rafferty GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Ceanna Soper, a junior at Arrowhead High School, has been on the track team for two years.
But track isn’t the only sports Soper is involved in; she also participates in basketball and volleyball.
And basketball was a main reason she joined tack, Soper says.
“Was always trying hard to finish first in sprints, so I thought track was a sport where I could see how fast I really was,” says Soper.
Soper’s summer basketball team didn’t start until May and she didn’t want to get out of shape. So she thought participating in track would be perfect.
Hurdle coach, James Ziech found Soper talented, motivated and easy to coach.
And Soper describes her relationship with her hurdling coach as a person who has her best interest at heart.
“I can honestly say he is the best coach I have ever had and I am thankful everyday I get to run for him,” say Soper.
“Her work ethic during practice is a good mix of having fun, and task orientated,” says Ziech.
Ziech says when he tells Soper the workout; he knows it will get done without cutting corners or complaints.
Head track and field coach Steve Kostka says Soper is always willing to help others when needed.
And Soper says her previous season was a blast.
“I improved my personal best by 2.2 seconds in 100 meter high and 4.1 seconds in 300 meter lows,” says Soper.
While at sectionals, Soper only missed state by .3 seconds in the 300-meter low hurdles. She was in qualifying position throughout the race but fell on the last hurdle.
“Ceanna [Soper] exceeded my expectations. Never did I expect her to be the second fastest high hurdler in Arrowhead history during her sophomore year,” says Ziech.
For this upcoming season, Soper wants the break the school record, and to qualify for state.
And Ziech hopes Soper improves her times in both high and low hurdles.
“Goals I’m looking at for the season are top three conference, making it to state, and top five list for Arrowhead low hurdles,” says Ziech
But before Soper leaves Arrowhead, Ziech hopes to see her name as a school record holder in the high hurdles a state qualifier in both races.
Kostka agrees, saying Soper can break the hurdle record at Arrowhead and compete at the state level.
But in any sport, Soper says she always has a positive attitude.
“I pride myself in always being the upbeat, positive leader no matter how hard the workout is,” says Soper.
She describes herself as the most competitive person in the world and she says she loves pushing herself physically and watching others do the same with some encouragement.
“She is a natural leader and makes sure we stay on track during practice. She leads by example and is always positive towards her teammates,” says Ziech.
Ziech also says Soper is a great role model, and she’s hardworking both during the season and in the off-season.
Kotska refers to Soper as a positive influence on the team and towards her teammates.
Thanks to basketball Soper is now a great track star as well.