Undefeated JV Field Hockey Impresses All | Teen Ink

Undefeated JV Field Hockey Impresses All

By Lauren Prodoehl BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Lauren Prodoehl BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

The Arrowhead Girls JV1 Field Hockey team has nine wins under their belt. They move on to their next game with familiar opponent, Arrowhead JV2, on Thursday, September 27 at 4:15 pm on the field hockey field.

The Arrowhead field hockey program is made up of three teams: JV2, JV1, and Varsity, with JV1.
The varsity team has started their season with a 10-1 record.
“The JV1 team jokes around with varsity girls about how we’re undefeated and everything. We’re really proud,” says JV1 team member Alyssa Recknagel who is a sophomore here at Arrowhead High school.
Recknagel was on the JV2 team last year and says, “I was so incredibly excited to be moved up. It shows how much I worked and improved and I was so proud of my accomplishment.”
One factor that Kristen Boucher, player on JV2, says is key to their undefeated season is the team environment.
“Being a freshman, I thought I would be intimated by the upperclassmen. However, that is not the case. I love all the sophomores, juniors and seniors on my team! We all have such great times during practices and games, which help us work together as a team more when it’s game time,” Boucher says.
Recknagel says, “The team interaction is amazing. It’s easy to get along with the group of girls and everyone looks out for each other.”
The varsity team travels across the country and has college recruiters at some of their games, which appeals in the eyes of many JV1 players hoping to make the team next year.
“Even though the team is like a family, the most stressful factor is the push to make varsity. All of us want it and are willing to do whatever it takes,” Recknagel says.
Boucher says, “Going into tryouts, I was hoping to make varsity as a freshman but now, I’ve realized it’s best that I’m on JV1. I agree with all the decisions my coach makes.”
Recknagel says she hopes to make varsity next year, but would ultimately be satisfied if she remained on the JV1 team.
“I really like the girls, the coach and most importantly the game,” says Recknagel.
“As a team, our goal is to go undefeated the rest of the season. That would be such a huge accomplishment and something JV1 hasn’t done in a while. So far, we’ve been doing our best and it’s really paid off. We look forward to playing our best in the remaining games we have left in the season,” says Recknagel.