Cheerleading | Teen Ink

Cheerleading

By bri_stemper SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
bri_stemper SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

This year, Captain Leah and Co-Captain Danielle lead 13 cheerleaders on the varsity squad.

Comparing this year's progress to last, Leah says they are a better team, and overall have made more progress than they had at this point in the season last year.

Leah says, “we’re expecting an even better performance this year.”

We all see the cheerleaders pumping up the crowd on the side of all the football and basketball games, but what most people don’t know is that in between making cheers for the games and practicing their stunts, the team is also preparing for their competitive season.
Competition season begins in December and runs through February.

During this season, they go to about 2-5 meets.

The cheerleader’s main focus this year is to attain full team back handsprings as well as make it to state. If they made it, it would be their third consecutive year. However, to do this Sandefur says they would have have to get over their biggest set back which comes from lack of effort during practice.

Looking ahead, Leah says that they have been working on new cheers and stunts to perform each quarter, as well as teaching the new members the old cheers.

As far as stunts go, the girl’s height determines who will have what responsibility. For instance, the tall girls are in the back supporting the flyer, the base is made of average height girls, and the smallest girls are the flyers.

Finally, Leah gave insight on what the girls are most excited about this year, and what the fans can look forward to seeing. Leah shares that they already have 1 flyer doing a scorpion as well as 3 solid stunt groups.