When I was Young.... | Teen Ink

When I was Young....

By prettysoccer_girl34 SILVER, Park City, Utah
prettysoccer_girl34 SILVER, Park City, Utah

When I was young on the soccer field, I would wait for the ball and see the players. I was nothing to be afraid of because I was a tiny and lovable girl who adored people in return. But I didn’t reach my standards. I wanted to be as good as my older sister who was 11 and was a genius at soccer. I wanted to be known for my soccer skills, to be remembered. I wanted fans cheering my name, and little girls like I was then to think of me as a mentor, a hero, a role model. That has and will always be my goal in life, to be a role model. The games were hard because I was so small, but that just made me work even harder for it.

When I was young on the soccer field, I watched my sister’s games for ways to be trickier than before, to be quicker than before, and to kick harder than before. I practiced hard during the fall and spring. Soon enough, I fell in love with the game of soccer. The pull of the grass as your cleats rip it up, the roll of the ball when you kick it, the aggressiveness that I possessed for the ball. I’ve only known it for a short while at that point, but I just couldn’t get enough of it. I realized that the blue skies and the sunshine smiling gently down on my face when I rushed for that spherical ball was just what I needed. I found my missing piece, the piece to give me great pleasure to do.

When I was young on the soccer field, I grew older and more mature. In a game I matured a few years. My face became more serious, my body became more muscular. My brain became more quick at thinking things through, my heart became less guarded. My friends always said that when I play soccer, it makes me look more scary or at least more intimidating than I really was. I guess that was true because I became something that people feared or respected. No longer was I a little petite girl who loves everything. No, no I became a vicious, muscular block of quick-thinking, heart and soul that would scare everyone out of her way because she did things her way, not by anybody else’s standards. I was slowly making my way to what I’ve always dreamt of.

The grass rips up, the net swishes. This has become my daily routine the past years in which I have developed something that people say in terms, The Kick. The Kick is found in probably many players who actually pursue their soccer dreams, I am probably included. My kick is well-known from many coaches in PC because whenever I play their teams, at some point I use it. I am not as built anymore because I have taken up to being lean and strong. My face is still serious but I try to open up. Im still a quick thinker period. I will always have that heart and soul that people have for something they truly love. When I was young, I didn’t need the clothes or the makeup or even the popularity. I never really had a passion for those things. But soccer.....it will always be my passion and true love.

I'm 13 but I had to write this for my Creative Writing class. Tell me if you like it! :)

on Oct. 10 2012 at 10:29 am
yeah sure :)

elites5 SILVER said...
on Oct. 10 2012 at 12:23 am
elites5 SILVER, Langley, Other
I am a soccer fanatic too and I know exactly what you are talking about. I feel powerful when I play, but I am pretty quiet outside the sport.:) can u read some of my stuff?