Soccer | Teen Ink

Soccer

March 19, 2008
By Anonymous

Every time I step on the soccer field I get the same feeling. My heart races, my legs become numb, and my head is thinking about on thing, soccer. I step on the field with confidence, I don’t think about what will happen in the next eighty minutes. I check the game ball, not too hard but not too flat. Run a few laps around the field, gets me ready. Ignore everything else, just run my heart out and keep looking forward. Right after left my feet swift across the ground, the grass is just right. Not wet, but not dry, and perfect cut, which makes the ball run smoothly foot to foot, player to player.

The whistle blows, the ball rolls over the mid line, ready to play. Being a midfielder isn’t easy. They are like the mothers of the team, helping both defense and offense. First the ball comes to me. Second I juke a few opponents and maybe do a give-and-go with one of my teammates .The ball comes back; rushing up the field with it is the best feeling. MY heart beats so fast it makes my feet get anxious. This makes everything feel like I am going in warp speed. Got to keep this up, people don’t see anything but my colors, maroon and gold. I was mainly focused on what I wanted the most, which contains the ball hitting the back of the net.

A long time ago most would think a girl wasn’t capable of such things but luck for me and girls like me don’t have to worry about it. OF course there are some that think less of us when it comes to soccer but that’s what I love about it. A chance to prove so many wrong with the kid of skill I have is mine and it gives me a reason to keep up with sport and maybe out run a few boys here and there.