Fast. Fearless. | Teen Ink

Fast. Fearless.

By Smyle SILVER, Aurora, Colorado
Smyle SILVER, Aurora, Colorado

"Better to never have met you in a dream, then to wake up and reach for hands that were not there."

Fast. Fearless. This is how you run. This is how you live. Running with the wind in your face. Your hair flying. Your feet pounding through the grass. Like a wild animal. There is no path. You make the path. Fast. Fearless. There are no limits. There are no boundaries. You can go as far as your legs will take you. As far. As fast. As fearless. Running has become a habit. You don’t have to think anymore. You just go. Nothing can stop you. Not the ache in your lungs or the pounding in your heart. You just run.

“Champions are made from something they have deep inside them- a desire, a dream, a voice.”

And courage. The courage when you know that it will hurt. That you will suffer. That you may not win and it will all be for nothing. And pushing through it. And doing it anyway. And coming back for more.

My coach says “a 5k, honestly run, should be a near death experience.” It is. What is wrong with us? Why do we push ourselves to the breaking point? And then push that much harder?

Because we are runners. That’s who we are. We are Fast. We are Fearless. We Run.

Cross-country is my life.