A Dancer’s Security Blanket | Teen Ink

A Dancer’s Security Blanket

By katkon96 BRONZE, Cheswick, Pennsylvania
katkon96 BRONZE, Cheswick, Pennsylvania

She walked across the room, she placed her sweat covered hand in the dark bag not knowing what to find . The bag was fully black fabric so even in a lighted room you could not find what you were searching for. It was as old as can be, with rips and tears on the bottom. Many small holes were scattered across the top. The zipper was broken, the arm strap was torn. She has had this bag forever, never letting it out of her sight. This small duffel bag held her past and her future to come.

As she gently placed her hand in the bag, she felt the objects that were placed on the bottom. A shoe, a skirt, another shoe, a pair of workout capris, spandex shorts, a tight shirt, a candy cane from seven Christmas’s ago. She smiled when she felt that. Her best friend in the whole wide world gave that to her in celebration of Hanukkah back when they were Seniors in high school. So many memories flooded through her mind when she pulled out that extremely old piece of candy.

She first remembered when she originally got the bag around 20 years ago. She was so excited. Not because she got a random duffel bag, but because she this meant her mother enrolled her into dance classes at a local studio in the old, particularly small town she grew up in. She carried that bag, as big as her, into to that same studio for the next 13 years. Every year the classes got longer and harder, each new class had different shoes and clothes equaled the bag’s interior to stretch out of its normal size.

But it wasn’t used just for carrying shoes and clothes, it carried other memories, too. She went to many sleepovers in elementary school, too many to count. The one thing that always held those bunny pajamas, teddy bear, and hottest Justin Bieber or Hannah Montana CD was her black, bottomless pit duffel bag. During her middle school career she used it as the same thing when she had her first choir competition that was out of state. It held her dress, shoes and all her accessories to make her pretty during the performance. When she joined the field hockey team in high school, she used it to hold her shoes and her gear.

This old bag had been through it all, her entire life. This continued to when she was accepted into Julliard. Every day she danced and on the floor below her, there the bag was just the way it has been forever. Then she graduated from college and moved to Los Angles to audition for movies and television shows and music videos. When she auditioned it was always there. It was her good luck charm, her security blanket. She was famous by now having her own CD’s, music videos, movies, and a television show.

After filming her recent music video, she spotted this familiar bag on the other side of the set. She walked across the room, she placed her sweat covered hand in the dark bag not knowing what to find . The bag was fully black fabric so even in a lighted room you could not find what you were searching for. It was as old as can be, with rips and tears on the bottom. Many small holes were scattered across the top. The zipper was broken, the arm strap was torn. She has had this bag forever, never letting it out of her sight. This small duffel bag held her past and her future to come.