Forgetting someone? | Teen Ink

Forgetting someone?

December 23, 2010
By GodsDancer BRONZE, Rockwall, Texas
GodsDancer BRONZE, Rockwall, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love your friends for who they are. Not who they want to be. Not who anyone else wants them to be. Just for who they truly are inside."


Who here thinks they can list every sport in America? Here's what most of your lists would be..
Football
Basketball
Baseball
Tennis
Badmitten
Swimming
Figure Skating
Or anything you would see in the olympics.

Well I and many others of this sport think you're forgetting someone. The dancers.

Dance is the one sport that never gets any mention. Everything isn't as easy as we make it seem. In order to do a double pirouette, you have to not only hold your core, you have to spot, hold your leg in a flawless passe, hold your arms in a brilliant first position, hold your core, hold a high half toe, and while doing all this, be sure you get around twice without traveling, dropping your passe, dropping your arms, or falling out of it completely. Think about it... do football players have to think about that many things all at the same time?

In order to do a tour jete, you have to do perform not only a jump, but you have to make sure your first leg is straight, make sure your first leg's toes are pointed, make sure your arms don't go too far back, make sure your second leg is straight, make sure your second leg's toes are pointed, make sure you got all the way around, and then immediately after you land, launch straight into another one and think all of that again. Think about it... do basketball players have to think about all of that all at the same time?

I believe the answer to both my questions is, no. They don't. High schools and colleges are so wrapped up in their basketball, football, baseball, or any other sport that they fail to notice the dancers, who perform at every sporting event, perform at every pep rally, prepare for all of that, and then still have to be ready when competition season comes around.

Dancers break themselves, bruise themselves, get mad at themselves if they don't nail an audition. They have to interpret music, make all their hard work look effortless, entertain an audience, make the audience feel what the dancer is feeling. They have to do all that while still thinking all about their technique.

I really hope people other than dancers understand the point I'm trying to make. If you don't, go check out a dance class, then come back and tell me its a piece of cake.