College Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Someday I'm gonna go to college. Yeah, college. Just like the girls I see on TV. The ones who wear those glittering, tight outfits that complement their bodies so well. The ones who wear their hair up in a million tiny hairbands. They've got to make sure to tie their hair down so that it doesn't go stubborn. The ones who flash their smiles like bright lights that shine on the Fourth of July. They dance to their own music with their own original moves.

Especially that one girl. Yeah her! The one over there that the crowd is cheering for. She delicately sways her arms toward the sky, making an intricate pose like a flamingo standing on one leg. Then her arms come down to her sides with a thump. She begins to pump her fists back and forth until her whole body has left the floor. She is soaring through the air like a firework letting off its full beauty.

Someday I'll be like her and all the others. A college girl. A gymnast college girl. Gymnastics. College. Gymnastics. College. It will be my life. For now, though, I am stuck. Stuck in a place known as my second home. It is my home. It is my gym – the place where I train now so I can be that college girl. That gymnast. And everyone when they see me will say, “Hey, you're that girl from TV,” and I'll smile and say, “Yup, that's me.”

I'll have the nicest teammates. We'll do everything together just like best friends. And my coach, she'll be the best I've ever had – strict, fun, tough, friendly like a teacher. All the young gymnasts will look up to me. They'll come from near and far just to get their picture taken with me and to get my autograph.

But for now, I am stuck here. This will have to do for now. It's a second home, but not my dream home. Here the gym is hot and stuffy. It's small and doesn't have room for all the equipment. My coach, yeah, she's nice, but not strict enough. And my teammates, we are close, but there are only four of us. So right now this isn't the dream I want to be living.

“Enjoy being a kid while it lasts,” Mama says. I don't listen to her. I dream of the day I go off to college. College. Gymnastics. Studying. Flipping. And I'll get my first glimpse of TV stardom: the sports channels.

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm:

Congrats on having this published!

It's pretty good, though I don't really relate to it :) I'm not that into anything sports wise, and most of all, I'm not looking forward to growing up, getting out, those sorts of things :)

But even though I don't relate to it, I see this story's value, it is well-written.

youngpilotThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:21 pm:
Nice! im not one thats big on sports lit, but its good, and congrats on getting published in the Mag:)

PerfectMGymnast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:10 pm :
thanks! :)

pheebz88 said...
Mar. 27, 2011 at 11:54 am:
Great job!  Congrats on being published in the magazine!  Awesome similies and great emotions!

Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:13 pm :
Thank you!! :)

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 27, 2011 at 9:39 am:
really good  very good use of descipriptions congrats on getting published in magazine

Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:14 pm :
THANKS!!!!!

iloveyou.xoxo. said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 7:37 am:
This piece was really good! I liked your use of similes. They added to the piece well. I also like that you are suggesting that you are going to pursue your dreams to become a college gymnast. Keep up the good work. :)

Mar. 23, 2011 at 10:00 pm :
Thank you!! :)

HorseLuver said...
Mar. 21, 2011 at 12:21 am:
This is really good! I love how descritptive you were!! and congrats on getting published in the magaizne! 

TimekeeperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 2:16 pm :

This is really cool and I can see how it got selected for the magazine, you must be very proud of it! :)

I just got a scholarship today so the idea of college is really hitting home for me. This was a nice read.

Mar. 22, 2011 at 3:39 pm :
Thanks! :)

Aidyl replied...
May 8, 2011 at 2:15 pm :
This would make a good rap. Lovin’ it gurl ;)