Hard Work | Teen Ink

Hard Work

December 13, 2007
By Anonymous

I once heard someone say “hard work beats talent, when talent fails to work hard.” This phrase has had a big impact on me since I have heard it. I am uncertain about whom I heard this quote from, but I know it has had a huge impact on me. I have based the way I play basketball around this term; I always work harder and don’t rely on my talent to do the job for me. I do not only try hard at basketball, but at every thing I do. That is why I believe that hard work beats talent, when talent fails to work hard.

I believe this because to me it means that no matter how good you are if you don’t work hard, your talent is nothing. If Michael Jordan had not believed in working hard then he would not have been any where near as good as he is today. You do not only need to work hard in sports but also in the classroom. Working hard in the classroom will give you many advantages later in life. That way you can get into a good college, and get a good job later in life.

I also believe this because you will more than likely be better at what you do if you try your hardest. If you try your hardest, you will to the best you can to your abilities. You will also have more fun when you try your hardest. It will satisfy you much more if you know you did your best.

My belief has changed over time tremendously. I used to think I could get by without working hard, but then I saw the movie “Rudy” and it changed my point of view on things. In this movie Rudy works his whole life just so he could go to Notre Dame, when he finally gets in he tries out for the football team; his life dream was to play football for them. He only made the practice team. But everyday at practice he worked as hard as he could and the last game of his senior year he got to play.

I believe that hard work beats talent, when talent fails to work hard. This will impact my future by making me work harder to get what I want.