The NFL Lockout | Teen Ink

The NFL Lockout

By Super man SILVER, Noodle, Wisconsin
Super man SILVER, Noodle, Wisconsin

In 2011 there will most likely be a lockout in the NFL. This means that there will be no football for 2011-2012 season because the NFLPA and the NFL’s owners cannot agree on a contract between each other.
This affects the players because they will not be paid that year.
“The owners absolutely don’t want a lockout,” said Rodger Goodell The negations are ongoing, and although the NFLPA and the owners cannot agree on a deal, neither of them want it. Goodell said the owners want to share more financial data with the players, which Smith said is a must-have in the negotiations process. "There is a willingness to be able to make sure that they see the dollars that are necessary for them to recognize the cost we are asking them to recognize," Goodell said.

On June 3rd 2009, DeMaurice Smith, the head of the NFLPA, was fighting with the NFL owners, and if no agreement is made by March 2010 the upcoming NFL season would be played without a salary cap. This possibility scares both sides a lot for different reasons. This would make each side want to make the deal happen more. If the two sides reach a deal stopping the 2011 lockout; this would stop the no capped 2010. Both sides hope this thing will get settled. The chances of a lockout in 2011 are very high but the fact that there will be no salary cap in the 2010 season scares both the owners and the players. (NFLFanhouse). And even if the lockout seems like a long season away the uncapped season is the next one and if the deal does not get done …No football in 2011.

on Sep. 12 2014 at 2:05 pm
Jordan23 BRONZE, Indianpolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
i agree with what your saying but why did they have to have the lock out?

Jackson26Dee said...
on Jul. 9 2012 at 5:14 am
I guess that to receive the loans from creditors you ought to have a good reason. But, once I've got a auto loan, just because I was willing to buy a house.

Temir said...
on Feb. 8 2012 at 2:41 pm
I agre wit dem

bradysmith said...
on Feb. 6 2012 at 2:32 pm
bradysmith, Waukesha WI, Wisconsin

today ill do what others wont so tommorow i can do what others cant- jerry rice

really good information but none of this matters anymore cause they just finished the suppose to be lock out season with the superbowl

on Dec. 2 2011 at 6:13 pm
yeamehey BRONZE, Margate, New Jersey

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace. "
--John Lennon

Yea, ikr.. i thought they were just gonna do a bit less games...?

Beast1234 said...
on Jun. 9 2011 at 11:23 am
I don't know where you get your information but there will be an NFL season next year.

on Jun. 9 2011 at 7:24 am
Super man SILVER, Noodle, Wisconsin
Well im sure u posted this a while ago and now im sure you know what they are trying to decide, I wrote this article in september of 2009 and 1.5 years later im right and the NFL is at risk of not being played FUCK THERE BETTER BE NFL

on Apr. 28 2011 at 1:16 pm

I must get this off my chest.  How is it that a union can be a union when it suits the union and then decertify and hide behind a judges robes when the members don't get what they want through true collective barganing?

It is appaling to me that the labor centric NLRB supports this kind of gerrymandering of the management/labor relationship to always, always support the unions.  I know why, nobody would have a job at the NLRB if there were no unions.  OK, that's fine.  Then if the players form a union they should be required to act as a union during a contract and in between contracts as well. Bargain collectively and use the tools they have at their disposal.  Not abandon the collective and run to court.  That is a tool they should not be able to use if they have chosen to be a union. 

Guys you can't have it both ways.  Are you a unionized work force or are you each your own at will employee?  Pick one.

PS - Shame on you Ms. Activist judge for allowing these players to manipulate the system like this.  Make them sit in there and negotiate or not have jobs.  Don't be their salvation.  That's not the job of the court.

on Mar. 13 2011 at 12:20 am
Super man SILVER, Noodle, Wisconsin
This is my article. I wish i was lying, no NFL next year this aint good

on Jan. 28 2011 at 3:32 pm

I really hope this does not happen..No one at my school has been talking about it, but my friend Rachel and i are worried about this...

Football Rocks!

on Jan. 28 2011 at 8:19 am
Writer4Life_21 SILVER, No Where, Maryland

"If you don't know where your going, you will end up someplace else." - Yogi Bera

if football was taken away from america.. .even for a year, it would america wouldn't know what to do with itself

Coltsfan1027 said...
on Dec. 16 2010 at 2:38 pm
i think its unfair cuz we need football because there is no other sport besides hockey and besides football is the BEST sport ever who would want to stop football that is just messed up

Coltsfan1027 said...
on Dec. 16 2010 at 2:35 pm
i think that is not fair cuz people have nothing else to do on sundays besides going to church or waching football besides i need to watch the Indianapolas COLTS

on Dec. 15 2010 at 7:55 pm
This is crazy!! Football should be played every year! Even tho Im a girl my dad and I still need to hav something to watch in the winter!!!!

on Nov. 1 2010 at 5:52 pm
bobmarley917 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
I hope they don't stop football for next year that would upset a lot of people.

samma g's said...
on Nov. 1 2010 at 11:48 am
i will assasinate the people who hatin on this stuff bra

on Aug. 27 2010 at 11:15 pm
1fitzy17 BRONZE, Not Telling :p, Other

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."- Vince Lombardi

mite not even happen dont worry yet

BTW READ, RATE, COMMENT ON MY ARTICLES PLEASE!!!! SPREAD THE WORD AND I'LL DO MORE!!!!!!! if u like it

on Aug. 27 2010 at 11:14 pm
1fitzy17 BRONZE, Not Telling :p, Other

on May. 31 2010 at 10:50 pm
vikesfan28 GOLD, Genoa, Nevada

I'm still a geek on the inside, that's the important thing.

-Wierd Al Yankovic

Why would they do that??? Both sides of the argument would lose tons of money and it would just not be good for anyone.  So what did they decide??????

AP28 said...
on May. 20 2010 at 1:12 pm

IM Wit u Sky