Brewers Sign and Re-sign | Teen Ink

Brewers Sign and Re-sign

January 11, 2010
By Connor Wilcox GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Connor Wilcox GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

These stats are all according to MLB.com. The Milwaukee Brewers starting pitchers’ were last in the league in E.R.A. The acquisition of a good starting pitcher this year was imperative to the pitching staff in order to improve their E.R.A., according to Brewers General Manager Doug Melvin.

Milwaukee needed someone to pitch behind their ace, Yovani Gallardo, who finished the year with a 3.73 E.R.A.
The Brewers are hoping to see previous Randy Wolf repeat his performance in 2009, with a 3.23 E.R.A. and 11-7 record, instead of previous years in which he had a career 4.13 E.R.A. Unfortunately for Wolf, Miller Park is a hitter’s ballpark.
The left-hander signed a three-year contract with an option for 2013 for $29.75 million making Wolf the third highest paid pitcher in franchise history.
Wolf was more than happy to sign to a team that made such an effort to bring him there. “To tell you the truth, going into this offseason I wanted to be on a team that wanted to win and I wanted to be on a team that was dedicated to me and having that feeling be mutual," Wolf said to reporters. "I went into this offseason with a very open mind. I wasn’t set on going back to L.A.”
The Brewers have also resigned 39 year-old second baseman Craig Counsell to a $2.1 million one-year contract