Runner-Up This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Finishing as the runner-up can mean being only one one-hundredth of a second behind the winner. In figure skating, it can mean being only a tenth of point behind the winner .

Or it can mean losing a basketball game by one point in double overtime. Even if you don't get all the fame and glory, you should know in your heart that you've done your best to succeed.

Dan Jansen of the U.S. Olympic speed skating team finished fourth in the 500-meter speed skating event, only tenths of a second behind the medal winners. I've never seen anyone so dejected when finishing so close. However, being fourth in the world is nothing to be tormented about. He should always believe he'll do better in the next event.

Finishing as the runner-up is still an excellent accomplishment. It means you have tried your best and just barely fallen short, which is certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Next time perhaps you'll finish first. If you've just lost a close basketball game, don't think of it as a disappointing loss. Think of it as a good learning experience that will teach you to do better next time. n