Cheerleading is a Sport This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The New York Times states that cheerleading is the fastest growing girls’ sport, yet more than half of Americans do not believe it is a sport. In addition, they fail to distinguish between sideline cheerleaders and competitive ones. Sideline cheerleaders’ main goal is to entertain the crowd and lead them with team cheers, which should not be considered a sport. On the other hand, competitive cheerleading is a sport.

A sport, according to the Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Advisors, is a “physical activity [competition] against/with an opponent, governed by rules and conditions under which a winner is declared, and primary purpose of the competition is a comparison of the relative skills of the participants.” Because cheerleading follows these guidelines, it is a sport.

Competitive cheerleading includes lots of physical activity. Like gymnasts, cheerleaders must learn to tumble. They perform standing back flips, round flip flops, and full layout twists. Cheerleaders also perform lifts and tosses. This is where the “fliers” are thrown in the air, held by “bases” in different positions that require strength and cooperation with other teammates.

Just as basketball and football have guidelines for competitive play, so does competitive cheerleading. The whole routine has to be completed in less than three minutes and 15 seconds and the cheerleaders are required to stay within a certain area.

Competitive cheerleaders’ goal is to be the best. Just like gymnasts, they are awarded points for difficulty, technique, creativity and sharpness. The more difficult a mount or a stunt, the sharper and more in-sync the motions, the better the score. Cheerleading is a team sport so without cooperation and synchronization, first place is out of reach.

According to the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research, cheerleading is the number-one cause of serious sports injuries to women. Emergency room visits for cheerleading are five times the number than for any other sport, partially because they do not wear protective gear. While many athletes are equipped with hip pads, knee pads, shin guards or helmets, smiling cheerleaders are tossed into the air and spiral down into the arms of trusted teammates. The fliers must remain tight at all times so that their bases can catch them safely. Also, because cheerleading is not yet recognized as a sport by many schools, neither proper matting nor high enough ceilings are provided to ensure safety. Instead, the girls use whatever space is available. More recognition of competitive cheerleading as a sport would decrease the number of injuries.

So why do many Americans not think cheerleading is a sport? It cannot be because cheerleaders do not use balls or manipulate objects (if you do not count megaphones, pompoms and signs as objects). Wrestling, swimming, diving, track, cross-country, gymnastics, ice-skating and boxing are recognized sports that do not use balls. Some people argue that cheerleaders are just “flirts in skirts” with their only job to entertain the crowd, but cheerleaders today compete against other squads and work just as hard as other athletes.

Competitive cheerleading is a sport. It is a physical activity that is governed by rules under which a winner can be declared and its primary purpose is to compare the skills of participants. Hopefully, cheerleading will become as well-known a sport as football and basketball, and even appear in the Olympics since cheerleaders are just as athletic and physically fit as those involved in the more accepted sports.

Writer_Jordan said...
Oh, please. I play volleyball, and sideline cheerleading is not a sport. Competitive, however, is a different story. Competitive is more similar to gymnastics--definently a sport.

LeavesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Volleybal/cheergirl um, the national spelling bee is on espn too. Otherwise, I agree that competitive cheer is a sport.

LiveloveCHEER! said...
Cheer is a sport, whether it is SIDELINE or COMPETITIVE. Cheering on the sidelines for like a school is not about the crowd. Its about the PLAYERS! we hype them up and encourage them! and some sideline cheerers also go to like 1-3 competitions throughout the season, so we are doing a sport! Its VERY hard and sideline ceerers do halftime too! So we DO flips and stunts, we just dont REQUIRE you to do arials and backhandsprings! anyone can CHEER!!

AndriaStarThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Cheerleaders make the crowd hate games. With all the stupid jumping around and chanting, it's sickening.

Leazia replied...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:31 am
Thats on opinion. Sorry but you can't speak for everyone/

Boring replied...
Everybody at my school hates the cheerleaders. Not because they are popular (they are in fact very unattractive and unpopular) but because they are annoying and quite bad. Half the team is made up of middle school girls who look garish wearing too much makeup. Somehow our team did very well in the national cheerleading competition last year (in the non tumbling division). Even after they won the whole school either ignored it or treated it as a joke.

PoetryAngel14 said...
I'm not saying cheerleading isn't a sport, but to all of the people who are saying "try it and you'll see how hard it is" or whatever- don't bring difficulty into this. at all. because life is difficult. it doesn't make it a sport.

torithrock said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 10:47 am
You have to finish the routine in 2 minutes and 30 seconds, not 3 minutes and 15 seconds.

bumblee23 replied...
it can be 3 min 15 seconds and just cause you hate cheer you dont have to be all rude were not all mean ur probably meanier than a lot of cheerleader 

cimfamlove4ever said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:55 am
I heard someone say if it's on ESPN it's a sport and cheerleading competitions are on ESPN so it's a sport. My best friend is a cheerleader i've seen how hard she works and i've seen the cheerleaders at my school practicing and it seems like it's a pretty tough sport

girl said...

why doesnt track and field have cheerleadres

Kelcheers replied...

What would we say?

"R-U-N! Run around that track again!"

ImDaddy(; said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:22 am
CHEERLEADING IS A SPORT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wazoo12 said...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:35 am
nope its not a sport.

fruitsbasketFREAK replied...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 7:40 am
No offense, but you're wrong.  The author of this piece states all the points that show that it absolutely is a sport.  I was cheer captain last year, so I know what I'm talking about.  For future reference, IT IS A SPORT.

fruitsbasketFREAK replied...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 7:40 am

fruitsbasketFREAK replied...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 7:40 am
Oops my comment doubled

livelivecheer<3 replied...
Cheer IS a sport, have you ever tried a double full from extended lib, i didn't think so. Try the sport before you judge!

loveforcheer replied...
Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:33 am
Why isn't it a sport though? You can't just not defend your answer...

polar bears said...
Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:41 am
HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheermom said...
to the JUDGE, im happy to hear that your wife was a coach, but i myself have coached and if my husband ever said that comment he would know that there would be the dog house in the near future. with that said, sideline is very diff from competitve cheer, varsity cheer is alot diff than allstar cheer. my child has been cheering since she was 4yrs old and i have coached her all the way until 2 yrs ago. she is an allstar cheerleader, she competes on 3 teams and 2 are level 2 and 1 is alevel 4. my ?... (more »)