Is Zorbing the New Sport? | Teen Ink

Is Zorbing the New Sport?

By emika BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
emika BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania

There are some in the US who believe that NASCAR or Golf should not be considered as sports. Technically, the definition of a sport is "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature." Under this definition, both golf
and racing seem to fit. Americans tend to have a mindset that what is alien is wrong and not acceptable. What do Americans think about zorbing? Is zorbing a sport? If you would ask a New Zealander they would be inclined to agree. A fairly recent activity, zorbing was invented in New Zealand in the 1990's. The main idea is to roll down a hill, over water, or over snow, in a large bouncy ball. Yes, inside of a gigantic transparent ball of PVC. Done individually or with 2 or 3 people inside one ZORB, one can reach speeds of up to 30 mph. The rider is usually strapped in place, but water can be placed inside the ZORB for a water slide effect. As for zorbing being a sport? Well the creators claim that it is and that it also provides an abdominal workout along with the ride. If you would like to try this sport in the US you may be out of luck. In America there is a lack of exposure to the sport due to few zorbing sites. In fact, there is only one official zorbing location in the US, located in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Established in 2007, it sits at the base of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and down the street from Dollywood. And the price to go zorbing? It ranges from $33-$81 depending on the size of the group and package you choose. In other parts of the World, zorbing is just as elusive, as it is only in 7 other countries (New Zealand, Slovenia, Ireland, Guam, Thailand, Czech Republic, and Argentina). Although it is not very popular now, it is continuing to grow and add official ZORB franchises every year. All information considered, zorbing is a sport. It provides a workout and a sometimes competitive nature. Zorbing promises a new sport with abdominal workout and an exhilarating experience, but would you try it?