Free Runner | Teen Ink

Free Runner

By Tony Hodnett BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
Tony Hodnett BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

Sometimes, the only way stress can be relieved is by putting myself in very dangerous situations. Taking my athletic ability to the edge, at risk of broken bones, sprained ankles, maybe even a cracked skull, that’s where I find my freedom. Free Running, even though it may not be a very popular activity, is where I can break away and do my own thing, so I won’t have to worry about all the other small things in life. Parkour is a place where I can play my hardest, without having to play hard at all. Sailing and flying through the air is where I feel most at home, and most satisfied with my life. Even though it is continuous and fast-paced, my body is in a complete state of solitude. Not even thinking about where I am, all I focus on is my planned path and routine. I move rhythmically as the rest of the city buzzes and booms. People can’t help but stare as I shoot past them, doing flips and spins, falling from great heights and rolling when I hit the ground. It’s not everyday you see people sprinting across your line of vision, only to see them for a split second, before they hide behind another fence or are on top of another building. In the world of Parkour, the world is my personal playground. There are no monkey bars or jungle gyms, I only use what the rest of the world offers. Parkour, to me, is a living, breathing thing. All the Runners of the world are the things that keep this global game functioning.

hylandc said...
The story you have written is great and paints a great picture in my mind. When you say, "People can't help but stare as I shoot past them, doing flips and spins, falling from great heights and rolling when I hit the ground" paints an awesome picture and I could just picture that in my mind. Great job on writing this piece