The Greatest

The crowd erupted in Paris at his victory. He falls onto his knees and brings his hands to his face. He raises his arms in tribute for his triumph on the clay courts of the French Open. Legendary, greatest, elite … This man cannot have just one word to describe him because he is Roger Federer.

Federer completed a career Grand Slam by capturing the 2009 French Open, joining an elite group of tennis players that have won all four tennis Grand Slams. He triumphed at the French Open in 2009, has easily held the U.S. Open trophy multiple times, captured the title at Wimbledon for several years, and achieved victories at the Australian Open. Several tennis greats are missing at least one Grand Slam on their resume. Pete Sampras has never won the French Open, Björn Borg has never won the U.S. Open or the Australian Open, and John McEnroe has never won the Australian Open or the French Open. But then there is Roger Federer. He has shown that he has mastered the three court types in tennis: the hard court, clay court, and grass court. Therefore, it has come into question whether we may be observing the greatest tennis player in history. Even famed former tennis player Jimmy Connors quoted, “In an era of specialists - you're either a clay court specialist, a grass court specialist or a hard court specialist... or you're Roger Federer.”

We are living in the midst of a distinguished tennis player. His consistency and manner of playing makes his game seem incomparable. Unlike other tennis players he plays with a special artistry unheard of in the game. Even with what seems like many years left for Federer to play, he surely is the greatest tennis player of all time.