For the Love of Softball

I show up, call my girls over because I'm captain. How to lead? "I have to do this right." The mist flies off the early morning grass; that might be the coolest part of the day. Hour warm-ups pass us by, and we're lining up our bat bags like the military. Intimidation fills the mind, we put on our serious, victorious gamefaces. As we kick the dirt over the perfectly primed white chalked foul lines, the coin tosses in the air; heads or tails? Home or visitors? Next thing you know, you're diving in the dirt, making the tags, sliding in for home. The pressure is on, you're up to bat, 3 of your ladies on, tied in the last. The cheers from your dugout fill the adrenaline meter, you get pumped, and that ball flies over left field. But softball is a game of good sportsmanship; the teams cheer together and grant each other "Good Game". It's like a rock concert, everyone's yelling, and these girls become your family, and the field your home.

szmydc said...
This was good. I play travel softball, and the feelings you describe in this story are exactly how i feel before a game. Like you mention "The cheers from your dugout fill the adrenaline meter, you get pumped, and that ball flies over left field." or "Next thing you know, you're diving in the dirt, making the tage, sliding in for home." Those sentence make me feel like I am playing a game. The picture represents a teammate that will always be there for you. This was a ve... (more »)

Elizabeth M. replied...
Thank you, I really appreciate it.