For the Love of Softball | Teen Ink

For the Love of Softball

June 10, 2009
By MagicMarcello SILVER, Mechanicsville, Virginia
MagicMarcello SILVER, Mechanicsville, Virginia
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
It's my rule never to lose me temper till it would be detrimental to keep it.
-Sean O'Casey


I show up, call my girls over because I'm captain. How to lead? "I have to do this right." The mist flies off the early morning grass; that might be the coolest part of the day. Hour warm-ups pass us by, and we're lining up our bat bags like the military. Intimidation fills the mind, we put on our serious, victorious gamefaces. As we kick the dirt over the perfectly primed white chalked foul lines, the coin tosses in the air; heads or tails? Home or visitors? Next thing you know, you're diving in the dirt, making the tags, sliding in for home. The pressure is on, you're up to bat, 3 of your ladies on, tied in the last. The cheers from your dugout fill the adrenaline meter, you get pumped, and that ball flies over left field. But softball is a game of good sportsmanship; the teams cheer together and grant each other "Good Game". It's like a rock concert, everyone's yelling, and these girls become your family, and the field your home.


The author's comments:
I am team captain of the RBI Inferno from the Greater Richmond area of Virginia. I love my team-my family.