A New Step In My Life | Teen Ink

  A New Step In My Life

May 7, 2019
By tissantiago SILVER, Tirana, Other
tissantiago SILVER, Tirana, Other
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is too short to not enjoy it


What is a goalkeeper? Is it an important position? Yeah, it is. Many people don’t like to play in this position because they think that it is something boring or difficult, but there is another group of people that they dream to become the best goalie. When you jump to catch a ball, it feels like flying. The first time I stood in front of a football net was magical. So let's go back to where the magic of this sport began for me.

Nicaragua, 2009. Here my memory has faded a little. Deutsche Schule Managua was the name of my school. This is the place where I started to learn German. I used to be a guy of no words. I didn't really talk to people when I was not in my comfort zone. This gave me some problems to adapt to school. Later in the year, I was more focused on studying, so sports weren’t my priority. I made a good friend whose name was Andres and he was the first person to introduce me to this sport.

One day I was in the recess and Andres asked me to play for the team. I waited for a minute  and stared at him with a face asking, “What are you thinking man…?” But I said “Sure.”

I started playing in defense. I was good at it but I didn’t feel well, I was always confused and ran with the ball trying to score a goal but that wasn’t the point of a defender. The school used to have a team A and a team B, and I played in team B. Team A represented the school in all the games because they were “the best”. One day the trainer told us that we were going to play against team A. We trained for three days.

The big day came and the trainer told us, “Hoy veremos quién podrá jugar en el equipo A.” Today we will see who can play in team A.” Everyone was nervous. Here came one of the most important parts of my life. That day the goalkeeper from our team didn’t come because he was at a party, so we really needed a goalie. I raised my hand and the coach didn’t have another option so he allowed me to be a goalkeeper. I put my shirt on and I didn’t use gloves.

The match started and team A was faster and stronger. It was easy for them to go through all the defense. Dilam, one of the strikers of the team, shot. I didn’t catch that ball. That feeling was devastating. So I felt like crying. I stood up, gathered myself, “Not this time.” I thought. I continued playing and this time I felt ready for more.

One of my teammates made a foul. “Penalty” the referee screamed. When I heard that word, all my body was a rock. I couldn't move, and my heart kind of stopped. I put myself in a comfortable position to jump. Dilam again, he put the ball in the penalty shot area. I was breathing fast but I controlled myself and breathed slower. I remember putting my eyes on that ball and thinking, “Where are you going?” I repeated in my brain. The referee blew the whistle and Dilam ran to the ball but I wasn't looking at him. The ball was my focus. I threw myself to the right and at that moment I felt like I was flying. I saw how the ball bounced in my hands. The emotion was so strong that I didn't feel the fall. I took that ball and threw it as far as I could. The game ended and we lost 3-2. When I went to return the shirt to the coach he laughed “That’s yours.”

“I will never disappoint you,” I replied with tears in my face.

Since that day I learned what I really like in life, and football changed many things for me because I started to talk to people and to make friends. I learned to push myself to new limits.