The First Period | Teen Ink

The First Period

In the winter about 10 years ago I learned a skill that contributed on the rest of my life. One day there was an open skate at Casey Park and my father took me to go and skate for the first time ever. I was only four years old at the time. I was very nervous, I knew I had to do good because everybody in my family was or is a fantastic hockey player and skater. I wanted to be good like them. I was scared that I wasn't going to be able to skate, but after all, the outcome was decent.

I faced many obstacles trying to learn how to skate. I kept falling every time I tried to move. My father had to give me little pushes to make me actually move a little distance. I wouldn't move my legs. I would just glide across the ice. I was very frustrated when my father was trying to teach me how to stop moving forward. he told me to turn my toe in a little bit but I just couldn't do it, I was getting angry. But then I finally stopped one of the times and I was so happy. after that I couldn't get it again, but I was happy, I did it at least once. My father started showing off in front of me which kinda made me unhappy. I had the thought in my head that I hope one day I could do all the things he can do. After awhile, I got to get a stick and a puck, my father gave me a right-handed stick and I was grasping it backwards. Then he gave me a left-handed stick and I was grasping it correctly. I do everything with my right hand and surprisingly I am a lefty in hockey. I was having a really hard time trying to handle the puck, and shoot the puck but it was my first time, so it was no surprise I was horrible at it. I couldn't even shoot the puck in the net. Even if it was my first time I should have been able to do that. My father helped me out and showed me and he put his hands on the stick. when mine were on it and he directed me, I started getting a lot better at it. More progress was made over a really short amount of time. My father really taught me alot about hockey and all the positions and how the sport is played, I was very interested in the sport.

This experience changed my life forever, it got me into my favorite sport. If my father never took me skating that day I probably wouldn't be playing hockey right now. I’m very thankful my father took me skating and glad he that he taught me everything there is to know about the sport. This experience changed my life for the better, and I still love and play hockey today.

My First time playing hockey.