New Stages | Teen Ink

New Stages

By lilylpark SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
lilylpark SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

If there’s anyone willing to do anything and everything for his granddaughters, it’s my Grandpa Dan. This is true whether it be going to a movie that nobody else wanted to see, biking through the campgrounds to count dogs, or, my personal favorite, the annual “summer water olympics” that always seem to end in a tie when he’s the one reffing. Growing up with grandparents that are constantly on the go, the thought of either of them slowing down never crossed my mind. Until that’s exactly what happened.
Grandpa and hospital, two words used in the same sentence that I hoped I’d never have to hear. How could a sentence so simple cause so many emotions? First, there was denial. I took in the information but nothing felt different. Then it was shock. Nobody’s ever ready to be told that someone you love is not doing well. My mind wasn’t fully grasping what was actually going on. Until realization hit and I started to worry whether or not I’d see him again because at this point, we didn’t know much. All I knew was that my grandpa was not the type to let others know when he’s in pain so it had to be bad if it landed him a hospital stay.
Days passed by and the phone continued to ring with new information. None of it turning out to be good. So, as we drove to visit for the first time, I didn’t know what to expect. How bad is it? What’s he going to look like? What am I going to feel? Why is this happening? So many thoughts and possibilities eager to be figured out. On our way to the room, each sick patient we passed made me wonder if hospital visits would become my family’s new normal.
The first thought I had when I saw him was that he looked okay. That was quickly masked by reality as I went to give him a hug and noticed the amount of weight he had lost. Not only that, but how much his body was relying on the constant stream of oxygen coming through the tubes in his nose. It was strange seeing him like this for the first time. He was too exhausted to even make jokes or tease us about the little things. Which said a lot, no matter how much he tried to be the goofy grandpa I’ve always known him to be. This whole situation was taking a bigger toll than I thought.
My grandma sounded more and more worn out with each phone call. Going from home to hospital and taking care of everything in between can be a lot for someone, especially when it’s all usually done by the one person who is currently not able to.“I’m now in the sandwich stage of life,” my mom said to me one morning. Kids to take care of on one end and parents on the other.
As much as I wish my grandpa had never gotten sick in the first place, he did. There were plenty of downs but as he continues to get stronger, I continue to be more thankful. It made me realize that a family is like dominos. We all have our own roles. When one of us falls down, we all start to shift and need to fill in different places that we might not be used to. I went from being a kid who believes that lasts forever. Never once had I actually considered that one day the people I love most will be gone. Through this I’ve learned to appreciate what I’ve got when I have it. Don’t take people for granted because one day the littlest things will be what’s missed the most