Gifted | Teen Ink

Gifted

By myad2949 PLATINUM, Strafford, New Hampshire
myad2949 PLATINUM, Strafford, New Hampshire

You only live once. But if you do it right, once is enough.

All my life, I have been old that I was talented, gifted. I never knew what my talent was, never knew what gift I was given. No clue what it was. Nobody ever bothered to tell me that part.

I can sing. I could always sing very well. My voice range is broad, able to hit both the high and low notes in the songs I sang. I was told by my peers that I was talented. But I don't believe thats what my elders meant when they told me I was gifted.

I am athletic. This was a learned skill. It took years to not quite master. Soccer, Skiing, Snowboarding, Skating. All the “S” sports, they were my forte. My soccer coach told me that I had a skill that not a lot of girls on that field had. My ski coach said that I had a determination to finish races that he could not even see in himself. My snowboarding coaches declared I had a connection to the sport. They told me I could go places. My skating skills spoke for themself on the ice as they contrasted against the bleak monotonous laps that people ran. The spins and speed against the slow and steady, a rhythm that seemed to match their pounding heartbeats, made jaws fall. But I don't believe thats what my elders meant when they told me I was gifted.

They informed me I was talented with a pen. I could draw so well. I never thought they were good, but others would beg to disagree, scoffing when I spoke of any errors. I was proud of the things that I drew. I put them on display, and everybody else was proud too. But, I don't believe that’s what my elders meant when they told me I was gifted.

Hemingway, King, Dickenson. That's what my teachers called me when I turned in an essay. That's what they said when I wrote a story or a poem. I brought people to tears, made chills run through their body. Made them smile and shutter. Hemingway, King, Dickenson. That’s who you’re gonna be, kid. Every time I put my fingers to the keys or my pen to the paper, somebody said something. But, I don't believe thats what my elders meant when they told me I was gifted.

After nearly fifteen years, I think I know what they meant when they said I was gifted. They said I was strong. They said I was tough as nails. They said I was smart. They told me I was determined. They told me I was stubborn. They told me I was kind. They told me I was beautiful. They told me I was charismatic. They told me I was special. They told me I was gifted.

It took nearly fifteen years to understand what they meant, understand what they had failed to articulate. I was gifted in the way that most people wish they could be. They don't get to be smart and beautiful. They don't get to be stubborn and charismatic. They don't get to be strong and kind. They saw this, and wanted me to know that I was lucky. That I was gifted.

I have met many people and shook many hands. I have made many cry and smile, scowl and laugh with my words and voice and life. I gave these people my all, everything I could and more. Gave them my gifts, shared them. Without knowing it at all.