What Comes Next? Branching Out After Teen Ink. | Teen Ink

What Comes Next? Branching Out After Teen Ink.

March 11, 2018
By Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
325 articles 10 photos 1165 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks


I remember the first few poems I submitted to Teen Ink. Among them were ‘Freedom’, ‘Why Isn’t Daddy Coming Home?’, and ‘A Town Called Azalea’. Looking back at them now, nearly four years later, I notice a vast improvement. I wasn’t bad back then, but I wasn’t where I am now, either. My growth isn’t as exaggerated if you read each of my writings one after the other, and I think that’s what makes it so amazing to go from my first to my last and see the differences.


I have been published a total of ten times as of March of 2018, and nine of those were Teen Ink publications. I know I could never have gotten to this point without the support of Teen Ink and its incredible atmosphere. The Editors and their awards, along with the contributors and commenters, changed my life in such an extravagant way.


I am now prepared to branch out and explore the realm of competition and career among experienced writers. I have been successfully trained to believe in myself, my abilities, and my resiliency. Each time that I fail, I learn. And I will continue to do so as I take the dive into an intense reality.


“You must be at least 13 years of age and no more than 19 years of age to use or register for Teen Ink” (Teen Ink, Terms of Service). I read that phrase when I signed up, and knew that my journey would begin and end within the span of six uniform years. I was nearly fourteen, and wasn’t really sure where this website would lead me. Would I be rejected for publication no matter how many times I submitted work? Would they refuse to let my poems and stories go live because they were… less than exemplary?


I knew I had a long way to go, and I was struggling to believe in myself and not the praise of others.
My fear consumed me, but I knew Teen Ink was worth a shot. Sure, the idea of someone reading my work was terrifying, but it was also exciting. I was prepared to put in the work to make sure my voice was heard, my work was read, and my skills were sharpened. And I was right. Teen Ink was the propeller of my future as a writer. And I have valued this fact more than anything else, because it gave me the confidence, the hope, and the help I needed to begin writing more seriously. 


I am quickly approaching the not-so-joyful moment when I must leave the realm of contributors on Teen Ink. I still have a couple of years left, but the murmur of being unprepared to move on has pushed me to begin my search now.


I never knew it would feel so ephemeral, so short and almost dream-like. But it has, and now I am finally shaking off the daze of headlights to write this down: my advice for those of you who are also entering the strange world outside the parameters of Teen Ink. I’ll warn you now: it’s going to be scary. It’s going to be difficult. But it will be worth it. I know because it was just the same circumstance for me when I created my Teen Ink account. And from experience, I know that it will be an unforgettable journey. Here are my tips and tricks for budding writers looking for a new door to open.


- Begin early. I am jumping the gun a little to get myself comfortable in a new atmosphere. A year or two before you are leaving Teen Ink, or any other Teen-only writer’s space, think about what you want to do next.
- Find contests. Start small; try to find local ones if there are any near you, or enter a contest specific for your grade or age group. Submittable has tons of opportunities posted every day, and many have deadlines far into the future.
- Look into other magazines and publication opportunities. Again, Submittable has pages full of these. Some of the viable options are the Sonora Review, the Threepenny Review, and TheSame (which, unlike Teen Ink, is an online journal without a print magazine, and is for women only). Write things specifically for the magazines you submit to, using past issues as a guide. Sometimes they will also have themes, just like Teen Ink.
- Keep this in mind: most publications do not have an online space for writers to post their work without publishing it. However, if you would like feedback and advice on your writings, you can find those spaces elsewhere. I was on another site at one point without a publication opportunity, it was called All Poetry, and it is for writers of a wide range of ages, backgrounds, and experience. However, some publications/magazines prefer you do not have any work put on any site when submitting it for review.
- Another little tidbit I think is important is that when you submit something, it usually gets accepted or declined. There isn’t always a lot of explanation as to why, or any sort of feedback at all. Don’t lose faith in yourself, though. Just keep looking for the perfect place to submit that piece, and continue to submit your other works to the magazine if your work has been declined. Persistence is key. Stephen King and J.K. Rowling can attest to that.
- Branch out even further in regards to the contests you enter. Winning Writers is a website with tips, tricks, and lists of recommended literary contests. Ranging from nonfiction academic contests to poetry contests, there are plenty to search through. No matter your nationality, writing ability, or confidence, there is a contest for you. To access the contests, you do have to sign up for the email newsletters, but they are few and far between. Then, you can simply go to the contests page, and enter away!

- Keep writing. Don’t hesitate to continue, don’t be daunted by the tasks ahead. You are the scribe of what your soul speaks, and its voice needs to be heard.

 

I hope this has inspired you to continue forging your own path, by rising against the odds. If no one you know believes in you, I do. And so should you. Because in the end, that’s all that really matters.

 

“Write hard and clear about what hurts.” - Ernest Hemingway
“A drop of ink may make a million think.” - Lord Byron
“If you don’t see the book you want on the shelf, write it.” - Beverly Cleary
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison
“I think new writers are too afraid that it all has been said before. Sure it has, but not by you.” - Asha Dornfest
“If you haven’t failed yet, you haven’t tried anything new yet” - Albert Einstein
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you.” - Maya Angelou
“Do or do not, there is no try.” - Yoda (he’s a Jedi Master, we better listen)
“Don’t be paralyzed by the idea that you are writing a book; just write.” - Isabelle Allende
“The things you are most afraid to write, write that.” - Unknown to Me (I have seen a particular image, taken from a book of poetry. But I am having the hardest time figuring out who said it. If you know, please comment so they can receive the credit they are due!)


The author's comments:

Thank you, Teen Ink, for the journey of a lifetime!