The Special Gift | Teen Ink

The Special Gift

March 7, 2018
By K_Wellman SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
K_Wellman SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My soon-to-be ten-year-old self was in the middle of Walmart so hopeful to get an Ipod for my birthday. “I think an Ipod would be a cool present for my birthday,” I stated.


“I think it would be perfect for texting us when you aren’t home,” said my mom. I was shocked that she was on my side. Then I needed my dad’s approval.


“You don’t need an Ipod. It is a waste of money for something like that,” my dad announced. That was the response I thought I was going to get. He never wanted to buy anything technology related. We finished getting the rest of the groceries, and I kept imaging opening up a small white box with an Ipod perfectly sitting inside. It seemed like I could only hope for one.


“You know that I would totally buy you an Ipod if it was only up to me,” my mom asserted as we kept shopping.
It was a Saturday a few weeks later, and my tenth birthday party was being held at my house. Everyone ate food and talked for about an hour. When everyone was finally done, it was the moment I had been waiting for since last Christmas. I raced to open all of the perfectly wrapped presents, saying thanks for each one. Every time I thought that it could be an Ipod, it was not.


“Thank you everyone for all of the presents! I love them all,” I said. I hid the disappointment from everyone because I did not want to seem ungrateful for the wonderful presents I had received.


“There is one more present to open,” my dad said. He was holding a bag, and I knew exactly what was in it. He handed it to me, and I ripped it open while grinning ear to ear like someone who just won the lottery. There it was: a small white box. I opened the white box, and there was the new shiny Ipod with a perfectly smooth screen!


“Thank you so much, Mom and Dad! I love it!” I exclaimed. I raced over and gave them both a big hug. Luck was definitely in my favor that day.

 

“It’s time for cake!” my mom exclaimed. Everyone sang to me and then enjoyed the cake. My cousin helped me set up the Ipod, and I was absolutely thrilled. It even came with a case that was pink and blue like cotton candy.

 

I was as happy as a new car owner that day.