School Activism | Teen Ink

School Activism

By EmilyAB BRONZE, Bainbridge Island, Washington
EmilyAB BRONZE, Bainbridge Island, Washington

"We must tell girls their voices are important." -Malala Yousafzai

I am sick of the school system. Your school may be better, but mine is ignorant. Recently our school was put on lockdown because a man came into our school and sexually assaulted two girls in the bathroom. And our school has taken no action. They haven't addressed it. I don't think they ever will.

When I was an elementary school, I lived in a bad neighborhood. But the thing is, our school adressed issues before anyone got hurt. It was an area where heroin use was very common, and once my dad found a heroin needle on the sidewalk right next to school. The school immediately addressed it, and told all the kids the information they needed to know. And nobody got hurt.

Now I live in a affluent area, that is very safe and almost crime free. The only time they address issues is when somebody gets hurt. They almost never address suicide, except for when somebody dies. So I decided to take it upon myself to inform people of the issues we face. 

To name a few things I addressed, they were mainly sexual assault, gun violence, and suicide. I was supported by all my friends and family, and even people I hardly know. I made a huge amount of posters adressing these things anonymously. I was told that I couldn't hang posters without permission, and that some of them were too opinionated. All I was saying was information, and telling people to wear black clothing the next day to mourn the loss of victims of gun violence and suicide. I posted about 40 posters around the school, and kept track of where they were. 10 of them were taken down. But they served their purpose. Getting people to take action. The day of wearing all black hasn't happened, but I know people will take action. 

This is an issue of free speech. I don't understand why informing people about the issues we face in our community is bad. My school tends to brush issues under the rug, and keep a mask of perfection. That needs to change. I plan to take more action, and speak my mind. It is important we share our ideas with the world. Speak your mind.

I refuse to be silenced. 

Based on a true experience. I will follow up about the day of all black, and update on this experience of standing up for myself, and more importantly, others.