Light of Hope, Faith and Love

We all have pain that we hide, that we are afraid of, that we are not yet ready to share it with the world. But how we all cope with pain might be very contrastive. Some listen to music and pretend that the world doesn't exist, some write daily journals.Some people pray to what or with whom they have faith in; some just hope that their pain will someday heal. Whereas others distribute their love to distract them from their pain.

What is the right way you ask? Well, I believe that there is no right way to heal. As for me, I don't have a discrete way of healing. Sometimes I pour all my pain on a piece of paper, burn it, and watch it until all my words turn into ashes. Creepy? I know! I like to view this as a type of reincarnation. It's like starting over with a new attitude, a new form or in a positive way. 

A few months back when I first started writing blogs, I was into a deep down ocean of depression, which I believe is also a form of pain. I thought that I could only see this pain. However, it got to the point where it started being visible to other people around me. It felt like as if my entire body was embroidered with the word "DEPRESSED". I was with a friend one day at a coffee shop. While I was stirring my coffee, she asked me if I was fine. I said no. Because I really wasn't. I started telling her how I've been feeling lately. Opening up with someone was the hardest thing I've ever done. Letting other people see your deepest wounds, hoping they won't make that wound even more vulnerable. I asked her how she dealt with her pain. She said she goes to someone she has faith in and lets them handle it. In this case, Church.  She asked me if I wanted to come one day, try and see if it will help me. I said yes. I am not Christian,  Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, nor any religious denomination that I identify with. I consider myself an agnostic. It means that I view the existence of God, the divine or supernatural to be considered as unknown or unknowable. Now, she didn't persuade me to go to church with her, I wanted to. I went because I wanted the pain to go away.

So I did go to the church with her. The people there were so welcoming. At the end of the preaching, the pastor called me. He asked me to stand in the middle where I faced the wooden cross. He asked other people in the church to pray for me. I stood still. Everyone came up,  touched my shoulder, and prayed. They prayed that whatever I was going through shall soon be healed. They prayed for my protection, for my happiness, for my family, and for my well being. People had tears rolling down their cheeks as they chanted prayers which melt my heart and was somewhat overwhelming at the same time. 

Was I healed? Yes, somewhat. Did their prayers help me to heal? No. What healed me was acceptance. These people accepted a stranger at their door and were willing to pray for a stranger. They didn't care what my religion was, nor where I came from, the color of my skin, whether I was poor or rich. They genuinely, with all their heart, knew that I needed it. Which leads to my next thought. 

After all the mass shootings and massacres around the world, I believed that humanity was dead on this earth. However, after this particular incident, I believe that humanity is still alive in some people. Let's take Pitbull, the rapper for instance. He sent his own private plane to Puerto Rico to pick up cancer patients so that they can continue their chemotherapy in U.S. Secondly, Shawn Mendes, a Canadian singer, who is only 18, he donated $100k for those affected by the recent catastrophic earthquake in Mexico. 

I’d like to end this with a verse from the bible. “Three things will last forever - faith, hope, and love- and the greatest of these is love (1 Corinthians 13:13). I think humanity is all about that: Having faith that everyone is good in their heart, it’s the sins that they commit which is considered evil; giving people hope, not because of our own selfish reason but out of love. You don't have to be Christian nor any religious affiliation to believe this. You can simply be just a HUMAN. 

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!