Being Gay This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

At Pride, there are groups of men with signs that read "God saves sinners." My friends and I walk by them quickly, avoiding eye contact.

From behind us, I hear them yelling, "Your lifestyle is unnatural! Jesus died for your sins, you can be cured!"

I spent years hating the fact that I'm a lesbian. I used to try and like boys, I honestly did try. But I've always liked girls, as a young kindergartener I had a crush on Belle from Beauty and the Beast. It's not something I chose. Even if I did choose it, no one deserves to have strangers with signs yell at them. No one deserves to hate themselves because of who they love.

I have a girlfriend, we walk through parks holding hands. We make playlists for each other. Every time my phone lights up with a text from her I smile uncontrollably. If I don't go to heaven at least I'll be with her. Would God disapprove of a teenager being in love?

Is being gay really unnatural? Over 500 species have homosexual tendencies. It is common for two male penguins two incubate an abandoned egg together and raise the offspring. Are the penguins going to hell?

NimWallaceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yesterday at 3:08 pm
Hey, you commented on my article so I decided I'd read yours! Great job! I agree completely about religious people (like myself) pushing their beliefs onto other people.

Amelia111This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 1:13 am
Thank you so much!

WolfWhisperer0911This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
@Amelia111 Good job! I can't blame you having a crush on Belle when you were a kid; I had one too. As a Catholic, I respect you that you know who you are and I do enjoy that you are open to writing this article. I sometimes think that my religion is sometimes too hard for people, but they have their reasons. I have friends that are lesbians also, and I hang out with them sometimes. I do see the logic that you have and I believe that God will love you no matter what, as long as you are confident ... (more »)

Dec. 25, 2017 at 1:21 am
Thank you so much! The world needs more accepting people like you. I didn't mention it in the article but I'm actually Jewish, I totally understand feeling like my religion makes others uncomfortable.