8 Ways to Maintain Your Dignity | Teen Ink

8 Ways to Maintain Your Dignity

December 7, 2017
By SammyJane GOLD, Orlando, Florida
SammyJane GOLD, Orlando, Florida
12 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
“None of us can undo what we’ve done, or relive a life already recorded. But if Professor Morris Schwartz taught me anything at all, it was this: there is no such thing as “too late” in life. He was changing until the day he said good-bye.”

-Mitch Albom


Have you ever done something so strange that you never wanted to show your face in public again? I’m assuming you said yes. If you want to avoid that just follow these simple steps.

1) Always talk with your hands. If your arms aren’t flailing around as you half shout everything your saying then you need to step up. Be confident in what you’re saying by flailing. I can promise you that 98% of the people you talk to won’t forget a word you say. They won’t forget you either.

2) Dress in patterns that never match. Think that stripes and polka dots don’t match? Perfect, start there and don’t stop. The more outrageous your attire the better. There will be a day when you wear mismatched everything and it’ll seem natural.

3) Catch phrases are key. You need to find something to say when you walk in the room in order to make your presence known. You can even borrow someone else’s catch phrase. Good morning Vietnam sounded good to me, and I used that so much that all of my friends knew, remember and love me and my stolen tag-line.

4) Never think too long before you do something, thinking is bad. If you’ve contemplated something for too long then really, you aren’t going to do it.  I mean think about it. Every day until now you always said to your best friend you were going to ask out that one guy. “ I’m going to do it today!” … Did you? If you didn’t do it all those days before then what makes today so different. A change in the wind you say? Okay Mary Poppins.  Seriously after a few days, no matter how often you say it to yourself it probably won’t happen. So, just do it!

5) If you aren’t cool then pretend to be. I’m not saying wear “cool” clothes and “fit in”. You want to be awesome then you are. No fairy godmother required. Walk into school (or your job, whichever) as if you’re so hot that the sun thinks you’re intimidating. Eventually you’ll start your own trend. Everyone likes the cool kid and it’s not society’s choice who is and who isn’t

6) Make your flaws known. I don’t want your life story. Can you dance? If not then guess what, at the next party you go to dance yourself to sleep. Even if your dancing makes Elvis toss and turn in his grave. If it’s too embarrassing for you then think of it this way, practice makes perfect.

7) Now for this one I’m going to tell you a secret. You don’t have to do any of these things to maintain your dignity, matter of fact most of these things would make a lot of people cringe. You only have to follow these two steps. Firstly, Be unique. You don’t have to be the craziest of the kids to be unique. You just have to be you.

Finally, Don’t care. You are you. Nobody can change that. Nobody should try. If they’re trying to change you then they’re opinion isn’t worth much.


Good Luck.