A Big Change | Teen Ink

A Big Change

By Kallyn BRONZE, Kerens, Texas
Kallyn BRONZE, Kerens, Texas

When I was just a baby, my dad played Major League Baseball on a few different teams.  This resulted in our family of five to be traveling a lot. Moving from Texas to Minnesota to play for the Twins then to Pittsburgh to play for the pirates and to Chicago to play for the White Sox. Since we moved quite often my mom didn’t want to put us in new schools each time. My mom decided that she would homeschool my sisters and I.

Since then I have been homeschooled my whole life, even after my dad retired from MLB. Yes it was always fun to not be in school and get to do things other kids in school could not, like go on trips and not worry about missing school, but being at home all the time could get boring very quickly, also making friends and playing sports was very hard to do. Both my sisters went to public school their sophomore and freshman years, one of them enjoyed public school but my other sister did not and decided to come back home. That made me hesitant to go my freshman year, I was worried that I wouldn’t get good grades or make friends. I was also excited to start something new, being at home was nice but I couldn’t meet any new people at home or play sports. I decided that I would try it out freshman year.  I got signed up for MHS for the upcoming year and went to summer activities for the school. The first day of school came around and I was a nervous wreck, I did not know where to sit at lunch and I was afraid I would get lost or not be able to find my class. Luckily for me, I met some wonderful people in cross country before school started, they helped me out and made sure I was ready and prepared for anything and everything. That made it so much easier than just jumping in to public school. Still, I was nervous for the first day. Before the first day I was in panic-mode, saying I am not going and all the nerves were kicking in. I got to school and I felt like everyone was staring at me, I felt out of place and immediately wanted to go home. I somehow managed to find my way to my classes on the first day of school.

I was overwhelmed with homework and I was thinking, how am I going to keep up and do my work? Why did I think this was a good idea? Can I go back to being at home? These thoughts went through my mind over and over again. I pushed through and was able to get everything done even though I was very stressed out. The weekend came around and I was so happy that I could have a break from everything.

Overall my transition from being at home my whole life to going to public school has been and exciting yet bumpy journey. I have quite a long way to go but I can not wait to see the things I achieve in life as I continue on my journey.

Trying new things is important, even though it was a very big change going from homeschool to public school I think it was a good idea and I am very happy I did it.