School Board Takes Away Middle School Fiction Books | Teen Ink

School Board Takes Away Middle School Fiction Books

By regank BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
regank BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin

At 8:20am monday morning the Mukwonago school board takes away students fiction books because they believe that students won’t be able to handle real life issues because they were reading about things that would never happen. It started out a pretty normal day. The class quickly came in to take their seats. The teacher took attendance while the kids read.

The teacher explained her daily lesson and then the she told the class to read their independent reading books. While the kids were reading, the teacher interrupts them by saying, “okay who’s all reading fiction?” almost all the kids raised their hands. The teacher continues “I just got an email from the school board and they are taking away fictions books from every classroom.” Everyone was shocked a few people said “ really?” “yes so I guess I have to collect your books.” Just like that the students handed in their books. Everyone was in shock until one student said “is this fake?”

Then as of like a light switch everyone started to say it was fake. The teacher read the “email” and everyone said “show us”. The teacher waited and eventually pulled up a google doc. with the so called email. She claimed she had copy and pasted it onto the doc. But then someone pointed out that at the top it said “last edit was seconds ago” She eventually gave in and said it was all fake. The class and the reporter were relieved to get their books back. They were relieved because fiction books appeal more to them then non fiction books.