Never Sent | Teen Ink

Never Sent

i want to say that i'm sorry about how things ended up between us. we used to be best friends, and looking back, had someone told me that by sophomore year we wouldn't have any part in one another's lives, i would've thought they were insane. but this is where we are now. we used to do everything together. we used to be so close that we considered each other sisters, and now we don't even talk. you changed. you got caught up in the flow of high school, and the need of acceptance. the need to be popular. and now, we walk past one another, avoiding eye contact, as though we hadn't once made each other laugh so hard we cried. as though we hadn't once stayed up all night gossiping, sharing our deepest, darkest secrets with one another. as though we hadn't once been inseparable. losing you was beyond difficult. but realizing that i would never get back the friend whom i loved so dearly, and forcing myself to let go of the girl who no longer existed, was the most difficult thing i've ever had to do, and the most painful thing i've had to experience. it was like losing a piece of myself. a piece of my childhood. i miss our past friendship, i do, but honestly, i wouldn't change a thing. we had a good run, and we made some amazing memories, things i'll remember forever. but what i didn't know at the time is that i needed to be without you. after relying on you for so long, i needed to learn how to thrive on my own. and i'm glad i did. i finally stepped out of your shadow. i learned how to live without you. i made so many new friends, and reconnected with so many old ones. friends i wouldn't trade for anything. the ones who have been there for me throughout my ups, downs, and everything in between. the ones i can rely on no matter what. and had we continued our friendship i would never have stepped out of your shadow. i would still be known as your friend rather than just me. i would never have met the people i did. and for that reason, as much as i miss what we once had, i'm glad we went our separate ways. i'm sorry about how things ended up, and it's hard knowing that someone who was once the person i loved and trusted most in this world now wants nothing to do with me, but i have no regrets, and i hope that you don't either. thank you for all the fun and memories that you gave me, and from the bottom of my heart, i hope you're happy, and i wish you the best.

I lost my best friend of nine years to her need of acceptance. At first, I was very hurt. I could not believe that after nine years she could so easily let go of me just to move up the social ladder. But as time passed, I realized everything I gained from this, and I started understanding that this seperation truly was for the best. This is a letter to her.