Modern Art is Not Pointless

By WriteFreak SILVER, London, Other
WriteFreak SILVER, London, Other

"Everybody lies." - Hugh Laurie, House MD.

Modern art is something we have all seem. To some people, it's completely stupid. Yet I think that's completely messed up. If you look carefully, you will see that modern art has a whole new meaning. You just need to look a little closer. 

I am lucky to live in London, just 30 minutes away from the Tate Modern Museum. It has amazing artwork. At first glance, it is hard to understand. Stand in front of the painting for a few minutes. What does it represent? What does it mean? What was in the painter's head when he/she painted it?

Take one minute to look up Fahrelnissa Zeid's "My Hell". At first, you probably won't understand why it's hell. Think a little harder. The colors. The shapes. The holes. Do you understand it now?

The reds and yellows surrond the black. On the outside, she looks happy - reds and yellows. On the inside, she is depressed and gloomy - the black and white. 

Just look a bit closer, and you will understand. Give it a chance. 

If you live in London, or happen to be visiting, there is an exhibit on Fahrelnissa Zeid until the 8th of October at Tate Modern. Definitely visit!

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!