I Love You, Mom

It was December 13, 2017, when my whole world changed in just a split second.  My mom had went to the hospital that day because her legs were hurting, and while I was at school I thought to myself By the end of the school day my moms going to be here to pick me up and we will go home and eat dinner and everything will be fine. What I came to find out was everything was not fine. I was sitting on the couch about to go to bed when my moms phones started to ring. I picked up the phone and as a nurse is telling me my moms condition is getting worse and that they are sending her to Toledo I sat there almost in tears. My sister asked me who I was I was talking to so I told her everything that happened. We called my dad while he was at work and we told him because we didn’t know what to do or how to react. After my oldest sister, Gabrielle, got home she called my dad and we went to Toledo to see my mom. We sat there impatiently for 2 hours waiting for the ambulance to show up with my mom.  When my mom showed up she said, “Don’t worry you guys everything is going to be alright.” I fell asleep and woke up around 3am and my sisters were crying. I gave my dad a curious look and he said, “Your moms not doing to well.” I was scared.  I didn’t know what to think.  McKenna and I went to go visit my mom. By this time she had a oxygen mask on. She kept telling me to lean closer and I did. Very faintly I heard, “I love you.” I started to cry and I said, “I love you too Mom.” When I got back into the room I went to sleep.

I woke up in the morning only to find out my mom had gotten a lot worse overnight. The doctor had told my dad to call any immediate family members to come see my mom. When my brother got there my dad told us the devastating news. He started out with, “Your moms condition has gotten serve.” He went on and said, ” Your moms chances of living are very slim.” When he said that my mind went blank. I just started thinking of all the pizza dates we went on and how we would sit in the car jamming out to “Perfect” by One Direction. I started crying out all the water I had in my body. I was devastated.  They took my mom into surgery to try and get the infection she had out of her body. It was the longest 2hours of my life. I sat there thinking what if she doesn’t make it than what, and Mom you can’t die on me. I cried the longest I’ve ever cried in my life during that time. My mom was my whole world and just hearing that one sentence felt like a tornado just went through and ripped out all of my happiness.  After her surgery we had to play it day by day. She could’ve easily been gone at any moment.  She wasn’t able to breathe on her own for a few months, but she finally got to the point where she could. Hearing her voice for the first time in 2 months was the best thing ever. I realized after all these years that my mom is not just my mom but also my best friend and I would do anything just to keep her here with me as long as I can.