Ice Cream Speech | Teen Ink

Ice Cream Speech

April 26, 2017
By Anonymous

Well, I wasn't going to talk about this hot topic at this particular time. But, I want you to know that I am not afraid of controversy. Actually, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how controversial it might be. You asked how I feel about ice cream. All right, here is how I feel about ice cream.

If when you say "ice cream," you mean the frozen treat that takes you on a never ending train ride of high sugar and cholesterol, the must have snack that leaves you fatigued and foggy with the loaded carbohydrates in running through your system, the tempting sweet that can lure in the healthiest eater—planting the forbidden fruit in any healthy diet. If you're referring to the quick melting treat that leaves your fingers sticky while your stomach rumbles in discomforts from all the lactose, the addiction that eats away at your brain until you no longer have any self-control for the fatty and sugary sweet, the treacherous trap of calories, cholesterol, sugar, and cavities. If you mean all the flavors that attack your heart slowly, leaving sprinkles of disease until the heart begins to defrost, the notorious lie of only one more spoon that results in eating your way into a lifetime of obesity and diabetes—then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say "ice cream," you mean that something that kids look forward to after facing the horrors of the Doctor's office— the creamy mouthwatering treat that can put a smile onto  any sad face, the "reward treat" or "I deserve this" moment after passing an exam, getting through a tough day a work, or completing a difficult task, or the cooling sensation of having an soft served cone or milkshake on a hot day. The frozen sweet that's like a comforting friend at the end of a bad day or a heartbreaking break up, the treat that gives your independence and individually when picking your own flavors and toppings, the dessert that can lighten your mood by releasing serotonin to bring happiness and joy—then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.


The author's comments:

Spin off of Noah Sweat's "Whisky Speech"