My Fourteenth Birthday | Teen Ink

My Fourteenth Birthday

By Tayvin Tyler SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Tayvin Tyler SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

It started out as an extremely humid summer morning on July 27th during the year 2013.  Snuggled up in my bed clasping onto my baby blue blanket fast asleep, I suddenly heard my dog whimpering outside of my room.  ‘Today’s my birthday!’ I thought as a jumped out of my bed faster than usual.  This whimpering awakened me, and I briskly walked my dog to the front door to allow her to go to the bathroom.  After letting my dog outside, I felt excited for the night that lay ahead of me.  That day was my fourteenth birthday, and I planned to have several friends over for a night filled with an immense amount of fun and laughter.

I went back up to my bedroom and grabbed my smooth IPhone, looking at all of the text messages I was receiving about the sleepover, and a huge smile spread from ear to ear on my face.  When I dashed downstairs, the aroma of cinnamon filled the room.  I saw my parents downstairs, and they shouted, “Happy birthday, Tayvin!” 

“We already made your favorite breakfast,” my mom announced.  That morning, my parents prepared my favorite breakfast meal, cinnamon rolls, eggs, and toast with melted cinnamon butter on top.  “Thanks.  You guys are the best!  I can’t wait for tonight,” I yelled in excitement while quickly devouring the meal. 

Knowing he’d be spending the evening with ten eighth grade girls, my dad sarcastically responded, “I can’t wait for tonight either!” 

I then changed into my clothes as fast as horses race in the Kentucky Derby.  Wearing my light blue T-shirt and jean shorts with my favorite light blue Nike tennis shoes, I was ready to take on the day. “Come with me to run errands,” demanded my dad, so I had to go up town then to my uncle’s house with my dad in order to set up for the party. We had to pick up the foamy, dense life jackets from my uncle’s house since my friends and I were going to go swimming in my extremely deep pond.  Because we needed to buy some squishy, inflatable rafts for our pond, we went to the store.  I smiled the whole time, showing my teeth, and I didn’t even complain when I had to help my dad clean the garage or run errands!  My mom asked, “Are you excited for tonight, Tay?”  I didn’t even respond.  I just smiled and nodded like a crazy person!

Soon, it was time for my party, and I was forever waiting outside on the end of my driveway for my friends to finally start showing up one by one.  A total of ten people spent the night that night.  Coming into the garage one by one, they all carried bags for the sleepover in one hand and my present in the other.  Michaela excitedly yelled, “I can’t wait for tonight!  It’s going to be so much fun!”  Everyone else then cheered in agreement with Michaela.  Swimming in my pond was the first activity we did once every one finally arrived.  I had a massive lime-green raft that fit five people on it, and I also had a water trampoline in the pond, along with a fire truck red canoe.  Relaxing on the lime-green raft, four friends and I suddenly felt the gritty feeling of a mixture of mud and rocks splatter all of our faces.  This messy musty mud originated from my other friends who continued to jump on the water trampoline.  Because of the mud that covered our faces, we all looked at each other and screamed, “Mud fight!”  We soon all endured in an all out mud brawl, and it continued to be fun!  We even had to be sprayed down with my garden hose to get all of the mud off!

After cooking tacos in the kitchen, my mom screamed, “Girls, come inside.  It is time to have dinner!”  Once we were inside, we demolished mouth-watering tacos at the taco bar my parents set up for us.  Kaci stated, “These tacos are great!  I especially like the cheese dip!”  After eating tacos, it was time to open my presents and eat cake and ice cream.  Since it was my birthday, I opened all of the presents from my family and friends.  My favorite gift was a FIFA video game!  I thought, “Man, I can’t wait to open this and play it tomorrow!”  After opening presents and eating cake and ice cream, we attempted to go to bed in my grandparents’ camper that occupied my back yard specifically for the party, but we continued to be too obnoxious to even fall asleep.   Instead of going to bed, we adventured into the front yard and started playing capture the flag at around midnight while some people preformed cartwheels in the freshly dewed grass, and waved to people as they passed by the front of our house.  Continuing to play capture the flag, we made so much noise that my mom approached us and yelled, “Our neighbors will think something bad is occurring if you girls keep yelling like that!”  However, we continued to play until 2:00 A.M. when suddenly the newspaper lady appeared at our house and pulled into my lengthy, stony driveway.  Our eyes widened to the size of a Ping-Pong ball, and we bolted through the gigantic garage into the cramped white camper and slammed the fragile, white door shut. 

In the camper fast asleep we slept, until my mom arrived in the back yard and woke us up because something was wrong.  While eight of us girls were piled up sleeping on one side of the camper, one of the elastic canvased camper’s fold out beds broke and curved to where it almost touched the ground.  Early in the morning my mom saw this sight and then peeked into the camper and cautiously announced, “You guys need to get out before the side breaks off!”  Still sleepy from only five hours of sleep, my friends hit each other to try and wake every one up.  Frightened by the camper breaking, we carefully stepped out of the camper without getting hurt.  The camper was as flexible as an eraser bent into the shape of a “u.”  My dad was so angry about the camper’s bed breaking that his whole face turned tomato red, and his jaw clenched back the fierce words he wanted to say to us.  Devastated about his favorite camper breaking, my grandpa arrived ten minutes later.   My mom comforted us and told us, “It’s okay, girls.”  We then consumed a huge breakfast filled with everything from eggs to fruit to pancakes to toast. 

Around noon, my friends finally all left, and they all excitedly exclaimed, “This was the best party ever! The best!”  As they were walking down the driveway, I looked at each one of them, and I thought to myself, ‘I am really lucky to have such amazing friends.  These friends care about me, and they also know how to have a good time and make me laugh.’  Since my friends all left, I had to clean the garage from my party.  However, I wasn’t mad about cleaning at all because that transpired into my favorite birthday party I have ever had, and I couldn’t wait to have all my friends over again to do more crazy shenanigans!  I was never in trouble for breaking the camper though because it wasn’t entirely my fault, but I had to hear all about it for the next year!  That was one of the best parties.  Even in our junior year of high school, we still talk about it and the many memories that came from that sleepover.