Making a Tough Choice | Teen Ink

Making a Tough Choice

By nancy_743 BRONZE, Redwood City, California
nancy_743 BRONZE, Redwood City, California

“Emma, I want to tell you something important.”

”Okay, but let's go to the water fountain.”

Julia wanted to tell me something in private. She told me that she wanted to ask out her crush. I told her she should wait because this was going to be her first relationship. She asked me if I would talk to her crush.
I was good friends with the boy she liked, so during our morning break, I asked him if he had feelings for Julia ... he stared at the grass hoping for answers to come. I asked him if he had feelings for someone else... he said,” yes.”

I thought back to what Julia told me… He told me not to tell her. I was still shocked because Julia had strong feelings for him, and I thought that he would say yes. We both were quiet.. He looked around nervously thinking about what he had told me…the bell rang.

I was not sure whether or not to tell her what Jacob told me. She came to me and asked me, “what did he tell you? ” I didn’t know how to tell her … I was moving my legs waiting for an answer. Then I told her, “he can’t go out because-he isn’t sure...” She was processing this and then asked me, “if he liked someone else?” I didn’t want to tell her that he had mix feelings, so I told her,” no he didn’t tell me if he did.”

Later that day, he texted me,” I have mix feelings… I don’t want to ruin my friend relationship with Julia or Melissa, but I am not ready”. I read the message and I thought,  “What will I tell Julia? I didn’t want to hurt her feelings, but I didn’t want to lie to her”.It took me a while to figure out what I would tell her. She texted me later saying, “I think I'm ready. I’m going to ask him out tomorrow. Hope everything goes well. GoodNight :)”
“Wake up you're going to  be late to school” my mom said.

I read the messages that I hadn’t responded to. I changed. I was ready to go. As I was walking, there was a cold breeze. I was blowing into the air. I saw my breath. The sun was coming out. I got to school and my friends were waiting for me. As I walked, I was thinking about something... I can’t recall what, but I was nervous. She approached me and asked me if I would go with her to ask him. I was not really sure what do say so I told her, “ya, but when are you planning on asking him.” She said, “I will ask him in lunch.” Oh okay.

Later, he said yes to her although he wasn’t sure.