sisters | Teen Ink

sisters

February 11, 2017
By AlexandraMcCormick BRONZE, Cupertino, California
AlexandraMcCormick BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

i swear i cried with libby-one of three of my older sisters, and my favorite-for what felt like an eternity. we sat in my empty room with nothing but carpet and walls. we both had a stuffed animal. she had her George the monkey stuffy from our dad, and i had my dalmatian dog-spot-that libby had given to me when i turned one or two.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

we have always been close, libby and i. i don't know why actually. the four of us all used to get along when we younger. we would play with our barbie dolls in the doll house we had gotten just one year earlier for Christmas. we would never stop playing together, weather it be in the playroom in our basement, outside, in our rooms, upstairs in the schoolroom when it was raining, or even outside when it was raining.
 

 rain. the start of happy memories. and the cause of drifting apart. happy times are when you are with the people that you love doing whatever it is. it could be going to the park, running through trees in your backyard, playing games in those same trees when it was raining.
   

when you start to drift apart from those loved ones, you don't see it at first. for me i noticed when me and libby were doing blindfolded drawings in her room. she was on the soft zebra chair, drawing. i was laying on her bed telling her what to draw. self portrait. that was what i told her to draw. when she took off her blindfold, she asked if she could label what was on her drawing. eyes, nose, mouth, ears, hair... then she wrote: mind--we are all close physically, but are we really close anymore?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
   

a few years passed by like minutes. soon, we were going to public school. two months in, libby already had a boyfriend. that was the happiest i had seen her in a few years.

   

the day i found her in her closet, covering her face with a dress, i knew she needed to go back to the good memories. i had asked what was wrong. she told me that her and cody had broken up. almost immediately every ounce of sympathy i had in me spewed out. it hurt to see her there, crying the tears she once had shed over a bee sting. at that moment, all the memories of us when we were younger had left me. we both sat in her closet covering our faces, like the dresses could somehow make everything right. after that, there was more drama. especially moving.

   

i swear i cried with libby for what felt like an eternity. we sat in my empty room with nothing but carpet and walls. we both had a stuffed animal. she had her George the monkey stuffy from our dad, and i had my dalmatian dog- spot -that libby had given to me when i turned one or two.


The author's comments:

The reason nothing is capitalized is because I wanted this to say something. I wanted my writing to have more than just words, but have a emotional power. To me, no capitalization gives it a more realistic vibe. The vibe that the narrator was going through a tough time.