Things to Know Before Getting a Perm | Teen Ink

Things to Know Before Getting a Perm

By Bunnymom1 BRONZE, Vinton, Virginia
Bunnymom1 BRONZE, Vinton, Virginia

If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet.
-Rachel Wolchin-

I know what you're thinking. The word "perm" has evoked a sense of disgust within you, as you inevitably picture a frizzy 80's perm of the glory days. Why would anyone want that? Good question. Thankfully, the hair industry (and perms for that matter) have drastically improved since then.

It all started when I saw pictures online of "permed" hair (more on that later). I wanted beautiful, effortless curls! At first, my parents were skeptical. Despite their objections, I researched by reading articles and watching Youtube before and after videos. It all paid off when my parents surprised me with a perm appointment for my sixteenth birthday.  Based on my experience from the past few months, here are some things you should know before you get a perm.

1. Do your homework. This will prove to your parents that you're mature and you mean business. I researched enough that I could explain and understand the basic science of how perms worked.

2. Pick the type of perm you want.  Perms come in all shapes and sizes. You can get a straight perm, loose wave perm, spiral perm, etc.  Each one has a different look. Come into the salon knowing what you want. As a general rule, the larger the perming rods used, the bigger the curl, (think BIG, loose curls). Small rods mean small, tight curls. For me, a combination of rod sizes was used to achieve a more natural look.

3. Bring pictures! Bring several so your stylist can visualize and get a good idea of the look you want. This point goes along with the last one. Don't be deceived- most of the pictures I brought, my stylist told me was not really permed hair- just curled. Don't expect every picture online that says it's permed really is. This is particularly true if the model is a celebrity. My stylist said celebrities rarely get perms.

4. Be prepared for the smell. It isn't pretty. If you can't picture yourself uncomfortably reclined with your neck in an awkward position with a plastic bag covering your chemically saturated scalp, which is dominated by tight rollers, for 1-3 hours, depending on your hair length, perming isn't for you. Oh, I forgot to mention the rotten egg/salsa chemical smell lingers for several days. It is strong, and it is smelly. You have been forewarned.
5. It won't look pretty at first. I didn't scrunch mine thoroughly enough at first. Parts were mega curly, and others were limp. It takes some getting used to.

6. You can't wash it, style it, or touch it for at least 24 hours, but preferably for several days. Obviously, if you wash it right away, the chemicals will wash right out and you've wasted your time and money. You want to keep your newly permed hair down- in a ponytail or bun could mold the shape of the curls, (like when you get that weird ponytail bump after wearing it too long). As hard as it is, leave it alone for the first day or two.

7. It requires effort. I had pictured waking up each morning with Taylor Swift-esque ringlets. Nope. Without scrunching and mousse, my permed hair was pretty much flat. No pain, no gain.

8. It may lighten your natural hair. I read this beforehand, but never believed it- until it happened to me. I have very dark brown, almost black hair. I have noticed more light brown and reddish highlights since getting my perm. I have been asked by people who have known me my whole life if I have highlights, (which I don't).  It doesn't look bad at all, but it's a little uneven.

9. The shorter your hair, the curlier it will be. I ran into this problem. My hair was permed when it was medium to long. If your hair is long, the curls have a hard time forming because your hair is so heavy. I recommend getting several inches taken off- or at least a trim when getting a perm.

Hopefully, you now have a good idea whether you are ready to jump in or not. For me, getting a perm was not as radical as it seems. I started out with wavy hair, and the perm was very natural looking and pretty. I was told to expect three to six months of curl. It obviously starts out very curly, and fades over time. Because I got a subtle perm, I was able to define the curl when I wanted to. I did not experience terrible frizz. Now, over six months in, I am satisfied with my choice. Now, my hair is more wavy than curly. I plan to get a perm in another year or two but for now I am going to give my hair a break.

I was inspired to write this article to give the advice I wish I had gotten a few months ago. For me, getting a perm was a great experience, and I hope this information is helpful.