My Strays 2: My Experiences with Abused and Abandoned Animals | Teen Ink

My Strays 2: My Experiences with Abused and Abandoned Animals

January 20, 2017
By LJones1 PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
LJones1 PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
20 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
When you rise in the morning, form a resolution to make the day a happy one for a fellow creature. -Sydney Smith


I found him on a sweltering South Carolina summer afternoon while I was walking around the park with nothing much happening till I saw him. He was panting and sniffing around one of the lawns of the people who lived by the park, desperately searching for a shady spot to shield himself from the unrelenting sun. At first I thought he belonged to the people on the yard he was lying in but that wasn't the case. One of the first things I noticed about him was his "collar". It was a strange black almost leash-like thing with a metal hook at the end of the leash. It took me a while to coax him to come with me. I had to carry him around he was so exhausted and asked around if anyone recognized him. No one did so I took him home with me. Of course my mother wasn’t so thrilled to add another dog to a bustling 3 poodle family but we are a family who takes in animals and help them find a healthy and happy home. Though she wasn’t bubbling with excitement at the small pup she was quickly angered by the so-called “collar” on his neck. My mother couldn’t even get one finger underneath this medieval looking device that was borderline strangling this pups neck. We gave him some water and food and then we brought him to the vet to see if he was alright. He was a 6-month-old, not natured but otherwise he was completely 100% healthy. The vet even cut off that awful thing from around the poor little guy’s neck. I gave him a bath the moment we got home.
After that, Chewie become my responbility and honestly he sort of became my baby in a way. My dad gave him his name actually. One night, not even close to 7 0 clock, I was in my bed reading because I was so exhausted from cleaning up after him and running around making sure he didn’t get into trouble. My dad came in and we had a little conversation and then he said that Chewie looked like Chewbacca and thus Chewies name was born. I called him Chewie because he chewed on everything he could get his tiny teeth on. Hair clips, shoes, and even a lovely box that my Grand-Aunt Margaret gave me. I remember I would take him for walks every single day around my entire neighborhood and I even put up signs. But do you want to know the weird thing? 2 days after I put all the posters around my neighborhood and I was taking Chewie for a walk and Mom said to take them down since we hadn’t heard anything but I only found two of the 15 or so posters I put up. My theory is that Chewies owners took my posters but never called because they were ashamed of what they did to the poor animal. A week or so later we found Chewie a great foster home and I sincerely hope he found a loving family.


The author's comments:

I love you Chewie and hope you have a wonderful and magical life.