A Human Reflex... | Teen Ink

A Human Reflex...

By _Maariaa_ SILVER, Sacramento, California
_Maariaa_ SILVER, Sacramento, California

Ringg, Rinnggg, “finally 3:01 p.m. Time to go home” says a girl shuffling her way through the crowd.

“Speak for yourself girl, I still have one more period to go.” I think to myself as I make my way down the hall. Would you look at that, i'm once again one of the first to get to class. I dance my way towards the front of the classroom knowing that if I sit in the back Mrs. Williams will move me.

“Alright class, welcome back. Umm what is this?” she adds with a confused face. “Come on y’all move to the front of the class. I know we have a lot of new kids, but the veterans should know how we do already.”

“Ugghh, fine” whispers float across the room.

“Now that that’s handled, we have a case coming up on friday. Although, there is a catch.” Mrs. Williams sighs.

Just great, when is there never a catch ?

She continues “The student respondents whom we were having this case for only speak Spanish…”

“What the f*** , yo then they better learn English in the next  three days son.” TJ blurts out.

“May I continue? As i was saying, due to the circumstances the Advocates will have to be Spanish speakers.”  she hesitates.

Looks like i'm having a case. “ I got you Williams” I cried as my hand reaches for the ceiling.

After a few minutes of silence, “Great, okay so now that we have all the roles for the upcoming case i’ll give you guys the back story. Okay so three male  freshmen threw an open condom to a fellow female peer”she pauses.

What the f***, “that’s it? Really? Man i'm telling you these freshman now in days are super immature,” I comment annoyed.

“For your information, Maria that is considered sexual harassment” Mrs.Williams argues.

Man she got on me good. Tuesday and Wednesday pass by making my impatiens to interview my respondent grow. Later on that day I receive a schedule with a note on it instructing me to interview a fellow classmate.I wait until fifth period to meet  up with my respondent. As my feet follow the paste of the wind towards the gym, i’m telling myself “this kid is for sure a clown. I can’t believe he is in high school and still acts this way.”  I pull out the freshman from class and introduce myself. “What you did in my opinion was just childish. Anyways, i’m here to interview you on the accident occurred between you and three others” I say. 

“Well I truly had nothing to do with this. When I walked in the classroom, the boys had already put the condom on her  desk. I just got blamed for it because I was sitting in the same area as the others.” says Brian.

“In that case my bad for judging you ahead of time. Also don’t worry, I’ll have everything ready by Friday to make consequence less severe,” I said.

After that day, I can assure I never misjudged a person again. Well I can't say never because after all it is a human reflex that you just can't get rid of. That doesn't mean you can't avoid it  because to be honest with you, judging someone without knowing them is unfair and discourteous.

This narrative talks about us humans always judging others as a natrual reflex.