What Your Art Means to You | Teen Ink

What Your Art Means to You

I haven't written in a while. I used to write all the time during 7th grade. It wasn't because I particullarly loved writing, or even liked it, but I carried a journal around all the time just to scribble down random words in the middle of class. I thought it made me look cool, because every girl in my grade had a journal. Everyone was doing it. I remember how I always had to make my words look and sound pretty. If I did that, maybe people would think I was a good writer. Honestly, it was mediocre at best. Half of the words I wrote didn't even make sense together and it looked like a Thesauras flying around the page. Thinking about that really annoys me, because I put so much time and effort into something I didn't love to do. It made me stressed out and put all this pressure on me to make my writing perfect. So, I stopped writing. Through this, my real passion blossomed -- art. My art had gotten me throught some of my most difficult times, but I let it take a backseat to something I didn't even like to do. Writing was never my passion or what I loved to do. It never inspired me. My art has taken me to so many places. It has caused me to use my creativity to spark interest in so many areas of my life. It has caused me to love and appreciate my interests and makes me put all my effort into what I love. Without art, I would never love math or science or music. Use the art your love, whether it be painting, or music, or sports, or whatever. Your passions speak so much about who you are. Use them. Love them. Embrace them. Don't change them for anyone. My drawings have opened up so many doors for me. They have let me be passionate and find my voice. For that, I am incredibly grateful. 

Never let your passions take a backseat. Embrace them.