Dark Days | Teen Ink

Dark Days

December 2, 2016
By Anonymous

I remember it like it was yesterday, December 10th 2015. I wake up and do my daily routine to go to school. Get up, take a shower, brush my teeth and  head to school. As I remember it is my friends birthday I text her saying happy birthday. As my day goes on with school finishing work in classes, talking with my friends the whole day passes by. Seeing smiling faces everywhere, everyone having a good time. As 2:30 comes around school gets out and me being on the basketball team I head to the gym and get ready for a long practice ahead of me. As were running drills, playing some scrimmages at practice, as it starts to come to the end of practice we start our final drills of shooting free throws with a partner. We look over to the girls practice and they are huddled up in a circle and everything is very quiet.

 

Coach Grimes sent someone over there to the girls an to their coach to see what was happening and as he comes back his head is down and everything so we had a feeling something was not right at all. He came over to coach and told him what happened but just to him. After that was over coach called everyone in and said "There was a car accident around 2:45, 2 girls were in the car and they both passed" and we were just shocked. But until someone had said "Do you know who they were?". Coach said "Kaleigh and Sabrina," I felt my heart drop. My whole mood changed in just a split second. We all went to the locker room and just said "Wow" we could not believe the news we just heard. I felt like it wasn't true for some reason that it was all a sick joke. But until I got outside the sky was bright pink, Kaleigh's favorite color. But I just thought that was a coincidence, as I was on my way home I drive past the street the accident happened and it was full of cops ambulances and cars and I didn't think anything of it and didn't know what was going on.

 

I got home around 5:30 told my parents the news and they were as shocked too because they knew her an I were close since we dated. As 6 o'clock came along we flipped to channel 3 to watch the news and first thing that came up was "2 students die in car accident" and a picture of Kaleigh and Sabrina came up and that's when reality set in. That it was all true. I literally broke down crying i could not believe I had just seen Kaleigh before leaving school. Just 10 mins before her passing. It was so crazy to me seeing everything on TV, social media, it was all real life and happening. Nothing but tears on my face all night, and the thing that hurt more was texting her but knowing I would never get a reply back from her again. It just broke my heart. The next day at school on Dec. 11 2015, we had a moment of silence at the school around the American flag and it was such an emotional thing to do. So many people around in tears so early in the morning. The whole school in silence and in tears throughout the day. Counselors everything helping people, students every where crying helping each other out. Just a whole day of nothing but crying. I think the most emotional day I've ever had at school. Something I don't ever want to experience again. Its something that wasn't easy to get out of your head. The death of them impacted so many peoples lives. Those were some of the Darkest Days at my high school.


The author's comments:

This whole experience was something crazy that i have never been through in my life, and hope to never go through that again.