My First Time Driving | Teen Ink

My First Time Driving

By Guadaaalupe SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Guadaaalupe SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Everything started in the middle of August. I was laying down, watching TV when somebody was calling. My mom was the one who answered and quickly she gave me the phone. It was from school. 

My first thought was "They're probably calling to let us know when is the first day of school" I was wrong. It was my Drivers Ed teacher. My heart started beating so fast! 

"Hi Guadalupe, is Mr. Johnson from school" was the first thing he said. "Hello" I replied. "I'm driving kids this week, do you want to come?" I honestly didn't want to go, I was nervous but mostly I was scared to drive. I wanted to lie and say I couldn't go but the first thing that came out was "When can I go?" "Tomorrow at 12 p.m" he said. "Ok" I replied. When I hung up I just stared at my mom without saying anything.

"What did he said?" Asked my mom. "I'm driving tomorrow" I replied. I was really really nervous because I have never driven a car before and all I could think about was "what if I don't learn and do everything wrong?" The next morning my sister took me to school. I entered and I went to the office and asked for Mr. Johnson.  

"He was in his classroom, wait for him outside" the lady who was in the office said. I waited for him outside. Five minutes later another boy arrived. "Are you driving too?" He asked. I said yes. When Mr. Johnson arrived he told us to go to th car. The first thing he did was drive and show us how he wanted us to do some turns. "Who's driving first?" Mr. Johnson asked. He didn't even let us answer, he just gave me the keys. I literally was shaking. I put my seatbelt on and then I turned the car on. 

It took me time to do the turns right. After a while he told me to go straight and my heart started beating so fast. Straight meant to go out in the road. "Why do I have to be first?" I asked. "Cause you're more nervous than he is" Mr. Johnson replied. He told me to do exactly what he said and that I would do fine. "I hope I don't crush"'I was saying to myself. He made me drive to Newark. When he made us change positions I went to the back of the car and I felt a little better. I was in silence all the time, just listening to the boy and Mr. Johnson talking. After two hours, we went back to school. "See you tomorrow" Mr. Johnson said. 

The next day Mr. Johnson made me drive first again. This time I was excited but mostly scared because we were driving in bigger roads. I drove down to St. Georges and I couldn't believe I was in the middle of the road driving next to other cars. "More gas Guadalupe" was all I could hear from Mr. Johnson. I was going 50 MPH in a 65 MPH road. I thought I was going fast but I clearly wasn't. When we switched positions I went to the back. "Are you ok Guadalupe?" Asked Mr. Johnson. "Yea" I said. "You did better this time" I smiled. When we went back to school I told him I couldn't go the next day. He told me to go Monday at 9 a.m. 

When I got there Monday it was onl me. He said we were only going to do parking. I was nervous but not like the first day. I did parking in the back of school. The first thing I had to do was parallel parking. I got it right in the first time. What took me the longest was normal parking, but I got it right. When he told me I was done I was so glad it was over but I felt really happy. We went inside school to his classroom and he was filling in some papers. When he gave me my blue slip I was really excited. 

In in conclusion everything is possible. It doesn't matter how long you take or how nervous, scared or insecure you feel you are if you try hard for what you want you will achieve it.