The Moment of Silence | Teen Ink

The Moment of Silence

By yramG GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
yramG GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America; and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

Every morning when students take a moment of silence, it gives them the time to remember the people who sacrificed their lives for their country. I show respect to those that have served America when I stand, facing the flag and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. I’m thankful we live in a free country and for the people who fight for it to be one.

Memorial Day is one of the two days every year Americans use to honor our veterans. On Memorial Day, I go to my grandparents’ house to spend the day with family. I sit outside in my grandparents’ backyard listening my grandpa’s stories from WWII. My grandpa tells us, “Holding a gun made me feel powerful, but if I let that power get to my head it could have gotten me killed.” Memorial Day is the day sorrow fills my heart seeing tears run down my grandpa's face when he visits his fallen friends. Memorial Day is the day we go to watch the parade and greet people we know.

Memorial Day is the day Americans remember what it means to be a hero. Each soldier has heroism deeply rooted inside them. This is the day we thank those who didn’t get a happy homecoming. This is the day we thank the ones have been laid to rest. It’s the day we remember the heros who would do anything for the solider fighting next to them and the people they left at home.

Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and celebrating Memorial Day allows Americans to take a moment to remember the people who sacrificed their lives for their country. Memorial Day is the day we are reminded of what soldiers have done for this country, without asking for anything in return. It’s the day we remember them as heroes who have kept this country great.