Thank You | Teen Ink

Thank You

By CianaB GOLD, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
CianaB GOLD, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Dear Veteran,

As you probably already know, today is Veterans Day, and I just want to say thank you. Though I may not personally know you, I am overall grateful for what you’ve done as a veteran. War may have brought your worst fears to life, or it may have been one of the most thrilling things you’ve ever experienced. War might have taught you who you really are or shaped you into an entirely new person. While I don’t know any of these things, what I do know is that you made an impact. Whether you believe it or not, you did make a difference, and that’s what I’m most grateful for. Before this year, I didn’t really pay Veterans Day that much attention, even though both of my grandfathers, who were once veterans, are now deceased. I really had no idea what all the fuss was about. Now that I’m more mature, I finally understand why this holiday should be one of my top priorities. The fact that you voluntarily put your life on the line for this country, your friends and family, and for my own freedom makes me realize what love and dedication really is. It’s risking yourself for the people or places you feel affection for and following through with it until the end. Fighting until you no longer can. Trying your hardest to protect certain people and places and never giving up. These are just a few reasons why I want to say thanks.

With Greatest Honor and Respect,
Ciana B.